• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#41 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:27 PM

Ha, on that basis I hate to imagine what tier most non-US productions are on!

#42 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:32 PM

We call those jobs non union with a dental plan!

I am forever befuddled as to why I have to contribute to any film workers, dental plan, health care plan, retirement plan.  I have NONE of the afore mentioned.

R,

#43 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:16 PM

I am forever befuddled as to why I have to contribute to any film workers, dental plan, health care plan, retirement plan.  I have NONE of the afore mentioned.

R,

Employer contributions to their employees health and pension plans are a common thing in every industry. If you were a member of the PGA or DGA, you'd be getting them too.

#44 dan kessler

dan kessler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:46 PM

Where in Newport? Im in Newport Coast. Thanks for the offer but I have family already watching it.

Corona Del Mar.

#45 Gregory Irwin

Gregory Irwin
  • Sustaining Members
  • 589 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Work is based in Los Angeles but I live elsewhere.

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:16 PM

Corona Del Mar.

Neighbors!

#46 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:16 PM

Well, if we had a national healthcare system in the U.S. then maybe we wouldnt need employers to contribute to healthcare plans... but we dont.

#47 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:27 PM

I had lunch this week with a member of the American camera union who told me he hadn't worked enough hours to qualify for the healthcare.

I assume they still charge the dues.

#48 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:33 PM

Healthcare and Pension is funded by the producers, so if you don't work, you don't get the contributions. The threshold of hours to qualify is something insisted on by the producers.

#49 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:51 PM

I'm not sure how that helps.

#50 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:16 PM

Employer contributions to their employees health and pension plans are a common thing in every industry. If you were a member of the PGA or DGA, you'd be getting them too.

The DGC has asked me to join several times.  I would then be in the absurd position of having to pay myself more money, to fund, well.....myself.  Obviously that is ridiculous. Look I don't work for other people, and I never will.  I will also not walk onto a film set to create an asset which I will not own.  Doing so is the film equivalent of paying rent.

So I am stuck paying a lot of BS fees and contributions to film employees.  The ones that make me maddest are health contributions for Americans, good grief...pay for your own healthcare, I have no idea why it's my responsibility, I don't even live in the US for Pete's Sake!

R,

#51 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1904 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:43 PM

Whats a Canadian.. a North American with healthcare and without a gun.. 

#52 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:18 AM

Whats a Canadian.. a North American with healthcare and without a gun.. 

Dave Foley, there you are.

Edited by Samuel Berger, 05 December 2017 - 12:19 AM.

#53 Gregory Irwin

Gregory Irwin
  • Sustaining Members
  • 589 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:00 AM

The Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plan is one of the finest health plans Ive ever seen. The quality is unsurpassed. Government funded health plans could never offer anything close to what most private plans offer. Our industry health plan even has dedicated hospitals for our employees in the Los Angeles area. x

#54 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:40 PM

The Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plan is one of the finest health plans Ive ever seen. The quality is unsurpassed. Government funded health plans could never offer anything close to what most private plans offer. Our industry health plan even has dedicated hospitals for our employees in the Los Angeles area. x

Wow how awesome for you! I will just continue to have to go to the crappy Canadian hospitals where they use witch doctors, leeches, and we're lucky if they have power 10 hours a day.

R,

#55 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2427 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:48 PM

Government funded health plans could never offer anything close to what most private plans offer.

Your government maybe. Ours does quite well, at about a quarter of the cost, out of general taxation, free at the point of delivery.

#56 Gregory Irwin

Gregory Irwin
  • Sustaining Members
  • 589 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:55 PM

Wow how awesome for you! I will just continue to have to go to the crappy Canadian hospitals where they use witch doctors, leeches, and we're lucky if they have power 10 hours a day.

R,

Sorry Richard. I dont mean any disrespect. Im simply citing my own observations having had personal experience with both types of medical systems due to extended stays in several different countries including my own and yours.
G

#57 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:34 PM

Sorry Richard. I dont mean any disrespect. Im simply citing my own observations having had personal experience with both types of medical systems due to extended stays in several different countries including my own and yours.
G

Oh not to worry, my post was a joke of course :)  

I also lived in the USA for 5 years.  The quality of care is good, but OMG.....dealing with the insurance companies, making co-pays, etc etc, what a nightmare.

R,

#58 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1904 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:59 PM

Just one more bang of the drum .. in the US I often get told how lucky we are in the UK.. Europe with our "free" health care..

Which of course its not .. as Mark points out..the whole population pays from their general tax..for the "greater good" .. and its this concept that is harder for the US to get around.. I guess due to the different history of the country .. fence and gun and I,ll look after my own..why must I pay for others.. but of course it would all be cheaper for everyone if you had a national health system.. and basically its the only way to make it work anyway.. the current UK mobsters in control are trying their hardest to bring in the US system though.. but even the rich see they will end up paying a lot more.. its not a business concept.. its a right in any "advanced" society ..  end of rant 

#59 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:44 PM

Actually....the UK uses a "two tier" system, Canada only uses a true single tier model.  If you have money in the UK you can, "go private" as they say and get much quicker access to care, if you have the money.

R,

#60 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1904 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:58 PM

Yes true.. but only because the NHS has been crucified by various governments along the way.. 

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine