#21 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1634 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:28 PM

What did the camera sound like running? Was it loud at all?

If your pitch isn't adjusted, it can give you an unstable image like this, but it would make one heck of a racket. The SL is a pretty quiet camera, but you'd be able to hear it.

I'm still not sold on it being a scanner issue.

Pitch adjust will reduce the noise, but has no bearing on the stability of the image. The reg pins makes more noise if the film is being advanced to a spot not exactly aligned with the pin, but once engaged the film is registered correctly and will not move, and exposure occurs after the pins engage.

The usual practice for a shoot of any importance is to shoot a steady test to eliminate any questions about camera stability, but in my experience Moviecams are pretty reliable.

#22 Perry Paolantonio

Perry Paolantonio
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, MA

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:15 AM

Arriscan is mechanical pin registration so I do not think the scan can see the perfs.

I wonder if the place that did the scan, being an archive, did it with the registration pins disengaged?

#23 Nojus Drasutis

Nojus Drasutis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lithuania

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:15 PM

I wonder if the place that did the scan, being an archive, did it with the registration pins disengaged?

I think it was with reg pins disengaged...

They scan a lot of old GOST standart perf. films from the times Lithuania was a part of soviet union.

#24 Nojus Drasutis

Nojus Drasutis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lithuania

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:19 PM

What did the camera sound like running? Was it loud at all?

If your pitch isn't adjusted, it can give you an unstable image like this, but it would make one heck of a racket. The SL is a pretty quiet camera, but you'd be able to hear it.

I'm still not sold on it being a scanner issue.

It was quite quiet but sometimes it had some slight variations in timbre.

#25 Perry Paolantonio

Perry Paolantonio
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, MA

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:50 PM

I think it was with reg pins disengaged...

They scan a lot of old GOST standart perf. films from the times Lithuania was a part of soviet union.

This may be your problem then. If the film you shot was new, there's no reason to disengage the pins. For old, shrunken film, you'd want to do that. But for new film there's no reason to. 

#26 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3904 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:42 PM

Pitch adjust will reduce the noise, but has no bearing on the stability of the image.

You would think not... but what else causes an unstable image with a Moviecam? They're one of the most stable cameras made.

It can't be a tight loop either because it's not exhibiting the standard "jitter" you'd get with that.

#27 Nojus Drasutis

Nojus Drasutis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lithuania

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:44 PM

You would think not... but what else causes an unstable image with a Moviecam? They're one of the most stable cameras made.

Right after the holidays I'll check the film manually with microscope whether the perforations an framelines allign to each other.

#28 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1634 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:17 PM

It can't be a tight loop either because it's not exhibiting the standard "jitter" you'd get with that.

I never came across unsteadiness in any of the Moviecams (or Arricams, which use the same movement and gate design) that were in our rental fleet.

As mentioned, 35mm dual pin registration really makes unsteadiness highly unlikely, unless there is severe wear to the reg pins. Even if the movement has been badly calibrated after a conversion to 3 perf or 4 perf for example, you might get focus issues, or tracking problems, or jamming, or too much noise, but the pins would still keep the film steady and registered during exposure. A loop issue would normally trigger a buckle switch and stop the camera.

Far more likely to be a scan issue IMHO.

#29 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3904 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:06 PM

Far more likely to be a scan issue IMHO.

Ohh agreed... and the OP is going to check the neg so we wait to see.

#30 Nojus Drasutis

Nojus Drasutis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lithuania

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:01 AM

Hi guys,
Just checked the film today - I was told, there's a 2mm variation between frame line and perforation. I don't If I should trust our old soviet microscope with perf markings and GOST standart metering.
I was thinking to contact-print the film positive just for test purposes (30m) and project it in theater to check. What do you guys think?
BTW I don't know if it's off topic or not?
P.S. happy new year to all of you

#31 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3904 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:32 PM

Good idea to make a print... but you confirmed my suspicion that it's a camera issue.

#32 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19852 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:41 PM

Why not shoot a registration chart test on the camera to confirm whether it is working properly?

#33 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3904 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:20 PM

Why not shoot a registration chart test on the camera to confirm whether it is working properly?

I believe it was a rental package.

#34 Nojus Drasutis

Nojus Drasutis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lithuania

Posted 20 January 2018 - 02:38 PM

Just a quick update:

Yesterday we shot a registration test chart, as Mr. Mullen advised. 

Monday I'll send it to film lab in Poland to check. But for now, I talked with one DP who also scanned something in our archival center and he said, that his footage was also unstable. He thought it was camera's fault but checked - and it appears that it's not. In his case that was 435 ES.

Film is a rare beast these days in Lithuania, so all cameras are not regularely in use.

Thanks

Tai Audio

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape