2 replies to this topic

#1 Jay Gladwell

Jay Gladwell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Miami, FL

Posted 04 July 2005 - 06:28 PM

While looking for a good sturdy cart, I came across this fine example of a cart with multiple personality! I saw carts for the same price that weren't nearly as nicely built or as versatile.

www.rocknrollercart.com/index.htm

Jay

#2 Peter J DeCrescenzo

Peter J DeCrescenzo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 620 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR, USA www.peterdv.com Blog: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/

Posted 04 July 2005 - 07:50 PM

While looking for a good sturdy cart, I came across this fine example of a cart with multiple personality! I saw carts for the same price that weren't nearly as nicely built or as versatile.
www.rocknrollercart.com/index.htm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Jay: I've owned one of these "rock'n'roll" 4-wheel multi-carts for a couple of years, and although I generally like it, there are at least a couple of things about it I wish were different/better.

Having to periodically refill the air-filled tires gets kinda old after a while, and when they're low on air it makes the cart _much_ harder to move. I'm looking around for replacement tires -- the solid type -- to address this, but the multi-cart wheels seems to use a larger diameter axle than most of the replacement wheels available at my local hardware stores. I notice they have a link & phone number on their website, so I check that out.

The handles at both ends of the cart (which are painted red on mine) are just barely sturdy enough for the cart's intended use(s). I only use the cart horizontally (on all 4 wheels) and always attach 2 bungee cords from one end of the cart to the other both to secure the load and to distribute the load/stress from a handle at one end of the cart to the handle at the other end. Pulling a typical load using just one of the red handles alone would soon bend or break the handles.

Also, except for a very lightweight load I'd never use the cart as a 2-wheel handtruck for the same reason as above: In this configuration, one of the red handles becomes the bottom platfor to hold the load, and it's not very strong.

Having said all that, I actually like this cart because it folds up fairly compactly and is very good as long as you observe the limitations I describe above. My memory is that I paid under a couple of hundred bucks for it, so it's paid for itself and saved my back many times over!

I believe many folks really like the carts made by Magliner. When my current cart wears out or becomes obsolete I may look into what they have to offer:
http://www.magliner.com/

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

#3 Tim Tyler

Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 05 July 2005 - 06:12 PM

I own a Magliner and one of the 'Rock-n-Roller' carts.

The Magliner is a perfect cart for lugging film/video cases.

The much less expensive folding cart wobbles a lot under a decent load, and I too have to refill the tires with air periodically.

The folding cart will fit into any taxi cab or rental car, so I'll take that if I'm travelling by plane.

I was also able to weld a custom plate onto the folding cart (since it's steel) which I use to carry a golf club case filled with kit stands.

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies