5 replies to this topic

#1 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3904 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:47 PM

In fall of 2016, I wrote a script that featured a teenager with a badly damaged face from a fire. After doing research, I stumbled upon the furry fandom as a potential activity where he could wear a costume and be in public without being ashamed of who he is. This led to months of research, writing a pretty good script and then going back to research the fandom even more. Come April, I was hooked on the fandom, mostly the people and the stories they weave. The community is full of mental health issues, broken families, difficult upbringings, sexuality issues, etc and being a storyteller, I saw a huge opportunity to take their stories and put them on film.

sniper_tyler.jpg

At first it was going to be a narrative series, but after discussing it with producers, building budgets, casting and scripting the first few shows, I was seeing too many timing conflicts with a low-pay crew, locations and cast. It was getting ugly real fast and instead of continuing down that road, I decided to put the narrative series on hold and switch gears to a documentary series that I can shoot on my own. I brought in a great friend of mine to produce with me and Ive already started the shooting process.

The interviews will all be shot digitally, using my pocket cameras, with Rokinon DS primes. This is mainly due to their ease of transport, but also I have 2 complete rigs, so that means I can run two cameras for all the interviews. The rest of the show will all be on film and I plan on shooting Super 8, Super 16 and S35, using my cameras: Beaulieu 4008 Super 8, Aaton XTR Prod Super 16 and Aaton 35III 3 perf. The show is going to be produced entirely in 1080p @ 1.75:1 aspect ratio. This is mainly because the distribution channel is web, so there is no reason to go higher then 1080p. The super 8 will be scanned at 2k, the s16 at 2.5k and the 35mm at 4k, then all prepped for a 1080p edit in Avid.

aaton_horse.jpg

So why film? Well, its undeniably a different look than anything else out there, especially in the core group of people who are going to be watching it. The other reason is simply visibility, people who may not watch such content, will watch because frankly it looks interesting and different then anything out there.

Deanna_tye_35mm.jpeg

I put together two demos (shot on 35mm, finished in 4k) which will have some overlay historical pictures on them when finished, as a way to attract people to the project. This gives an idea of what the show will look like, even when the pacing is slowed down to compensate for the added imagery when it arrives.

First some stills: 

deanna_cerros_horse_BW.jpg

deanna_smile.jpg

#2 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:00 PM

This is a totally cool idea and I'm glad to see you shoot on film. I just wish the embedded videos were a little larger so I could check out the film grain. Clicking on the V doesn't seem to take us to the Vimeo page.

Either way, brilliant idea, Mister Tyler!

#3 Peter Gilabert

Peter Gilabert
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Director
  • San Diego

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:01 PM

It’s good work. Yes, film does stand out and like us “nerds” who like it perhaps there’s a relatability with the “nerd-like” subject matter.

#4 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3904 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:03 PM

Just wrapped our second shoot in San Jose california. We shot both 35mm and 16mm with the Aaton packages and a Steadicam Zephyr. We shot 4 rolls of 16mm and 5 rolls of 35mm. The 16mm was B-roll for my doc, but the 35mm was a scripted short film that I had been wanting to do forever. 

aatonxtr_steadicam_nice.JPG

It was a difficult shoot, coming off a sickness and having not flown my 35mm camera before. It took me a while to get it balanced and I realized I was overloading it, so I had to back down and set it up without a mattebox. 

aaton_35III_tye_steadicam_BW.JPG

Because the convention was pretty well lit from sun coming in, I figured out 250D would work perfectly for most of the shoot. The night/dark dances and such, were all shot with 500, but the vast majority of the show as shot with 250D both 16 and 35. In fact, I only shot one roll of 500 on 35mm because we had a very un-lit interior to shoot and I didn't want to risk it.

aaton_35III_tye_on_ground_Rokinon.JPG

I did use filtration on the 250D on the 16mm package because it flew fine with the mattebox, but on the 35 I couldn't use the mattebox. So luckily we were shooting in the shade all the time, so it was mostly F8 - F11 exterior and F2.5 - F4 interior. I did a location scout thursday afternoon with my meter and got the lay of the land exposure wise. There were some tricky meter issues though, one of them was the final shot of our short film, where I had to go from interior to exterior. I figure it will be a bit over exposed as they exit the frame, which is fine.

aaton_35III_tye_steadicam_withfurries.JP

I'll be putting together the short very soon and have it out for everyone to see in a month or so. I'll also be putting together some BTS material from the shoot, as we did have someone shooting video all the time! So stick around for those updates! 

aaton_XTR_tye_steadicam_furryfollow.JPG

#5 Pavan Deep

Pavan Deep
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:00 AM

This is great, but I can't click on the Vimeo link.

Pav

#6 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3904 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:00 PM

This is great, but I can't click on the Vimeo link.

Thanks! It's comin' along well so far :)

Hmm, so odd. Even when I log into another web browser that isn't logged into vimeo, it always works for me fine. :(

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

The Slider

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS