#1 brian hendry

brian hendry
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Grip
  • NC/VA

Posted 05 July 2005 - 10:55 AM

i honestly dont know how to approach to write the actual paper resume for a film. do i have seperate papers for actual crew expierence? how imporant are references? any help on layout? or books i can check out? or an online template?

ive found more than enough online templates for regular resumes, but need one for film.

thanks so much.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 July 2005 - 11:11 AM

There's no official format.

Most people list jobs by date starting with the most recent first and working back in time. Depending on the job you are applying for, that list may be all experience, carefully indicated (1st AC, 2nd AC, etc.) or it may be broken down into separate lists (list of 1st AC work, second list of 2nd AC work, etc.) It all depends on how much experience you have.

Personally, when I'm reading a crew resume as a DP, I just want it to be organized and clear, not trying to hide a person's lack of experience.

It could be something like:

1st AC experience
Title / DP / company / 2005 / A-camera
Title / DP / company / 2004 / A-camera
Title / DP / company / 2004 / B-camera
Title / DP / company / 2003 / 2nd Unit (day player)
etc.

If you are applying for an AC job, there's no reason to list grip or electric experience unless your work list is so short that you might as well list everything and see where they can place you. But generally, if I'm interviewing for a 1st AC, I like to see lots of credits as a 1st AC on A-camera for entire jobs, not a few hidden amoung a bunch of other credits as 2nd AC, 1st AC on B-camera, 2nd Unit only, etc. But the main thing is I want an accurate list of work, not something misleading.

For a grip, it could list all grip work if there are only a few as Key or Dolly, etc. with a qualifier at the end to specify the type of grip work. Or if they have a lot of Key Grip experience, they can list that and then make a second list of secondary grip work.

You should also list any special skills you have, liek for underwater or time-lapse photography, etc. And then your educational background, including film schools and/or professional training workshops.

You can list any relevant awards.

You may separate the lists by features versus commercials, music videos, etc. if they would separate neatly into lists. All depends on how much experience you have.

Ideally, it would be a well-organized and typeset resume that fit onto one page. Since I've done thirty features now as a DP, I have a shortened resume that fits onto one page with info about each film, but dropping some titles from the list, and a I have a simple list that fits everything on one page, and I have a two-page resume with everything (just for my own files.)

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

CineLab

CineTape

Glidecam

Opal

FJS International, LLC