3 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:52 AM

I was watching Cliff Hanger on tv tonight. I had previously seen this film on the big screen back in the 90s. Ive also seen the making of the film some time ago and there was one particular segment which I found really interesting. There's a shot near the end of the movie where you see a helicopter slam into the side of a cliff which looks really dramatic. The BTS doco revealed that the filmmakers used a small, plastic toy helicopter for this which wasn't much bigger than a pencil. Certainly fooled me! It was explained that by filming the toy helicopter in slow motion, it added a sense of weight to the model during it's swing through the air. It was extremely effective.

Ive got some super 8 50D left over from my brother's wedding and I was thinking of recreating the helicopter cliff shot with it. Ive got a Canon 1014E which has a top speed of 54fps. I suspect that the filmmakers in Cliff Hanger used a higher frame rate for the helicopter footage but I hope I still get some interesting results regardless. I do have an rc helicopter I could use and there is a steep rocky embankment very close by on the coast. All I need is some rope or cord to swing the copter and I'm all set. 

Edited by Patrick Cooper, 09 January 2018 - 10:03 AM.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 20030 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:25 AM

Much bigger than a pencil,
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=u45KX_n15Os

#3 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:43 PM

Much bigger than a pencil,
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=u45KX_n15Os

Oh gosh, it's been a number of years since Ive seen that BTS doco. Perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me. I just seem to recall the helicopter model being really tiny. That is crazy what happened to that high speed camera - unbelievable. 

#4 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:06 AM

Edit: I guess there could have been more than one minature helicopter used in the sequence. For example, different sized copters for different shots. 

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

CineTape

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC