#1 drew_town

drew_town
  • Sustaining Members
  • 383 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Southeast US

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:25 PM

Greetings,

I recently shot a promo for the United Way. Here are some stills from the shoot which was a reenactment of a domestic abuse situation. I would like some feedback on the lighting design. I wanted to go with something a little moody, so I tried to keep it somewhat low-key and keep the man's eyes dark. All shot were handheld.

Setup: The shed sequence was lit with 2 Arri 650 fresnels with Chimera XS softboxes: one in front and to the right of the camera (gelled with a CTO), the other acting like a kicker behind the actor's right's shoulder (gelled with a CTB). There is a natural window on the right wall. These are all full-rez stills straight from the camera (XL1s w/14x manual lens) and haven't been adjusted at all. I used a Low Con 4 lens filter.

*UPDATED* Sorry about the poor quality png's. Here's some better files.

Shed_04b.png

Shed_03b.png

Shed_02b.png

Shed_01b.png

Some more to follow:

#2 drew_town

drew_town
  • Sustaining Members
  • 383 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Southeast US

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:35 PM

Additional Stills:

This setup used ambient light with an Arri 650 fresnel/Chimera setup for key lights. There is an Arri 650 fresnel reinforcing the light from the window.

Living_Room_01b.png

Living_Room_02b.png

Living_Room_03b.png

#3 Glenn Hanns

Glenn Hanns
  • Sustaining Members
  • 160 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 July 2005 - 06:10 PM

Hi Drew
I like your colour palette on the "shed" setup, My only criticism is what you place in your background. I find the fan in the shed setup a little too distracting being white and well exposed compared to your foreground subject. The other 3 shots from the livingroom INT work well but the lamp in the B/G doesnt sit well within the frame, shot 3b looks like the actress is wearing the shade ontop of her head. All in all well done, nice work.
Glenn.

Edited by glenn@uow.edu.au, 05 July 2005 - 06:11 PM.

#4 Justin Hayward

Justin Hayward
  • Sustaining Members
  • 928 posts
  • Director
  • Chicago, IL.

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:02 AM

The lighting is very good.

If you could have thrown the background more out of focus, the shots would be better. I do, however, have a feeling that you already know this. Production design is half the battle.

#5 Tomas Koolhaas

Tomas Koolhaas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • los angeles

Posted 06 July 2005 - 01:10 AM

Hello,
good work especially considering it was on the XL1! my main criticism would be that the lamp is too hot on the second scene it would have been preferable for me if the lamp was not as hot and the light on the subjects had a bit more contrast to it, it seems a little flat for my taste.
But it seems to work.
Cheers.
Tomas.

#6 drew_town

drew_town
  • Sustaining Members
  • 383 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Southeast US

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:15 PM

Thanks to those of you who replied. I think if I could change only one thing it would be to ND or reduce the wattage of the lamp in the second series. This was such a fast shoot. Perhaps the fastest I've ever shot, because all the actors were donating their time in order to promote the United Way. From arrival to departure we shot in under an hour and a half, and I got forty-something minutes of footage. So the things that are in the backgrounds are the actual things on location and framing became a means to an end. I just had to kind of work with what was there. Overall the video is rather bold and intense and edit-oriented. I asked for feedback because this is the kind of thing I'll be doing for a while. So any other comments would be appreciated.

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post