25 replies to this topic

#1 Maik Lobborn

Maik Lobborn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Electrician

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:58 AM

Kodak has announced the new Super 8 prices for 2018.
The prices did increase by $4.03 to $29.99 each cart
See here
https://www.kodak.co...ff120180101.pdf

However, no Ektachrome 100D mentioned yet. According to John Schwind, who is usually very well informed, 100D is expected to cost approx. $35. See his post here (bottom of the page)
http://www.filmshoot...66887bc27130deb

Edited by Maik Lobborn, 13 January 2018 - 07:03 AM.

#2 tom lombard

tom lombard
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Other
  • nebraska

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:21 AM

I just went to http://store.kodak.c...goryID.70237500 and ordered some at $25.96 and received an order confirmation already.  Is there some benefit from ordering as a Direct Customer?

Attached File  kodak order.tiff   43.85KB   24 downloads

#3 Maik Lobborn

Maik Lobborn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Electrician

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:07 AM

Very cool!
This shop is operated by a third party. So they may need some days to adapt their selling prices.
This is valid for other resellers as well.
But the new prices will come – everywhere. Step by step.

#4 tom lombard

tom lombard
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Other
  • nebraska

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:37 PM

If you are thinking of buying some in the near future, this might be the time to stock up :)

#5 Christopher Ian

Christopher Ian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Other
  • Philadelphia, PA

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:19 PM

Thanks to this thread, I ordered 6 assorted rolls from store.Kodak before they raise the prices.

Thanks to all. 

Chris

#6 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1140 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

This is infuriating, I used to pay about $10 per cart in 1999.

#7 Christopher Ian

Christopher Ian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Other
  • Philadelphia, PA

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:35 PM

It was $10 to ship the order!

#8 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1140 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:47 PM

It was $10 to ship the order!

I added ten carts of varying ISO to my shopping basket and then I saw it totaled $269. Then I started thinking, why am I doing this? I'm overpaying for a filmstock I don't really love because it can't be projected, when I'm trying to save money for moving. I guess I'll pay more for it later but right now I'll wait for Ektachrome.

Also, last time I ordered from Kodak it took ten days to get the carts.

Ultimately, I only use Super 8 when the lighting situation is such that Single 8 Provie 100D won't be enough. So I guess I'm temporarily out of the hobby.

#9 Nick Collingwood

Nick Collingwood
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York, NY

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:19 PM

Jeez I can't tell if Kodak is trying to revive Super 8 or kill it off! Raising prices again after they just bumped up Tri-X in the fall. Infuriating. They should be doing their best to lower prices. Might have to put in some orders before the shops catch on but that is a hefty pricetag.

#10 Christopher Ian

Christopher Ian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Other
  • Philadelphia, PA

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:37 PM

I had to do some soul searching before getting into Super 8 due to the high prices of everything. And now a week into it, the prices are going up.

I have perfect timing!

#11 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1140 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:34 PM

I had to do some soul searching before getting into Super 8 due to the high prices of everything. And now a week into it, the prices are going up.

I have perfect timing!

If you're going to do any serious production, it's fine to use the negative stock, but overall I like the reversal better for home movies and hobbyist stuff. I prefer not to pay the additional cost of telecine for everything I shoot.

Jeez I can't tell if Kodak is trying to revive Super 8 or kill it off! Raising prices again after they just bumped up Tri-X in the fall. Infuriating. They should be doing their best to lower prices. Might have to put in some orders before the shops catch on but that is a hefty pricetag.

What do you generally stock up on? I used to stock up on Ektachrome and before that, Kodachrome. I don't think I ever stocked up on Super 8 negative before.

#12 Nick Collingwood

Nick Collingwood
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York, NY

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:23 AM

What do you generally stock up on? I used to stock up on Ektachrome and before that, Kodachrome. I don't think I ever stocked up on Super 8 negative before.

As linked in the other thread, I shoot a decent amount of weddings on Super 8 film so I use the full spread of negative and black and white stocks often. I do use color reversal for personal stuff when I can (just shot 4 rolls of Ektachrome in Patagonia! Also have 5 Provia rolls from Tak in the freezer) but it's a bit expensive and hard to find that stock. Plus I get all my rolls scanned anyways for sharing online. I do have a projector as well that I love.

So given that I've shot around 40-50 rolls/year for the last few years, stocking up on negative has potential to save me a few hundred dollars.

#13 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1140 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:47 PM

As linked in the other thread, I shoot a decent amount of weddings on Super 8 film so I use the full spread of negative and black and white stocks often. I do use color reversal for personal stuff when I can (just shot 4 rolls of Ektachrome in Patagonia! Also have 5 Provia rolls from Tak in the freezer) but it's a bit expensive and hard to find that stock. Plus I get all my rolls scanned anyways for sharing online. I do have a projector as well that I love.

So given that I've shot around 40-50 rolls/year for the last few years, stocking up on negative has potential to save me a few hundred dollars.

I think I'll go ahead and stock up on 500T and 200T since they don't list 250D as an option. I already use Tri-X in 16mm for my Filmo DR-70 and still have a lot of Plus-X Super 8 that I never got to use. 

I'll stick to Provie 100D for daylight. I love the colours!

#14 Tim Smyth

Tim Smyth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Other
  • Derry, NH

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:20 PM

It still has the old price on their website?

If you order 3-4 rolls, the shipping is free.

Oops! Just checked that out, and it looks like no more free shipping. :(

Must have changed that from last week.

Edited by Tim Smyth, 17 January 2018 - 04:23 PM.

#15 tom lombard

tom lombard
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Other
  • nebraska

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:34 PM

When I ordered 4 rolls last Saturday, it was $10 for shipping.  Anticipating an equivalent increase in 16mm prices so thinking of grabbing some of that as well.  Already limited space in the freezer though.

#16 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1140 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:54 PM

So what I ended up doing was stocking up on 200T and 500T. And that's it. I'm done buying until Ektachrome comes out, and it had better be at least as good as it used to be. Otherwise there's no incentive for me to use anything but Single 8.

On the other hand, when Ektachrome comes out I'll be buying it regularly and will probably join a group buy for the 16mm version. I love being able to project my stuff.

#17 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:00 AM

Phew, just ordered 20 rolls at the old price. Been holding out to see what kind of processing package they would bring out, almost got burned but this thread saved me. Got mostly 200T and 500T, will order 20 Ektachrome when it's released. 

#18 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1140 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:37 PM

I've just remembered something: Ektachrome used to be cheaper than Super 8 negative film. So maybe it won't cost $35, since negative is going to cost about $30.

#19 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 20 January 2018 - 01:51 PM

I've just remembered something: Ektachrome used to be cheaper than Super 8 negative film. So maybe it won't cost $35, since negative is going to cost about $30.

It was a few dollars cheaper. Vision2 was $15.00 when it came out in 2004, about half of what it is now. Color reversal was about $13. It would make sense for it to be cheaper since reversal is where more beginners will start. 

#20 Martin Baumgarten

Martin Baumgarten
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Plattsburgh, New York U.S.A.

Posted 20 January 2018 - 02:15 PM

These days, I'm just glad they are still making film to use!  Anyhow....even at the new prices, it's still better than seeing the older discontinued filmstock selling in the $50 to $100 range per cartridge.  It might be advisable for a few to go in on a large purchase and divvy up the stock, and get the lower quantity price rate.  I hope eventually I can get the film in bulk for spooling down myself here in the lab.  I guess we'll all know soon enough once the film becomes available.  Being a much smaller company now, KODAK doesn't have the same ability to sell film cheap like it once was.  Knowledgeable technicians also don't come cheap, as so many had retired off in recent years.  And lastly, like it or not, film based photography and cinematography is somewhat of a niche market these days.  I do thank KODAK for their support of our passions!

CineTape

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery