Photo

Repair K3 or go more professional (Eclair ACL)

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Willem Jansen

Willem Jansen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Other
  • Netherlands

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:25 PM

Maybe you're right, I haven't decided on this yet. I'm not gonna buy a camera anytime soon.

One of the reasons I like the technician to be in NL is because of the shipping costs. Shipping it overseas to Bernie is twice the price I'll have to pay compared with shipping it here. And then combine that with the costs of getting it checked. And as far as what I've read here, the camera needs to be cleaned and lubed every once in a while.

Look, I don't wanna sound greedy. The Eclair has made a really great impression on me. I just don't wanna go through the same experience as with the K3's. But also, I haven't checked all the places in Europe where I could go to. So I'll do that first.

#42 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1982 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:02 PM

I called the Edwin (from Etkon) who was going to repair my K3 .....

Etkon may service ACLs.  The old note I had saved was the name of Andres.  Just use the contacts you have and ask...I think it is a good thing if you have access to a service tech who is nearby.  He needs a good look at a camera the first time around,  then routine maintenance should be less expensive.  Continuity of attention by a qualified tech is the best way.  Shipping a camera to various techs at various locations is a recipie to spend more money.

#43 Willem Jansen

Willem Jansen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Other
  • Netherlands

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:08 AM

Yeah, a member from this forum also got his Eclair serviced by them, not that long ago. 

Shipping a camera to various techs at various locations is a recipie to spend more money.

Exactly.

#44 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1764 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:41 AM

Aatons are great cameras. In the past there were debates as to whether an Aaton was as sturdy as an Arri.  If they are, you can't tell. As an Aaton owner, I would say that Aatons are not fragile in any way. Arri SRs are fantastic cameras, so are Aatons plus Aatons have the one  up on a SR by being much more hand held friendly like a K-3.  Save up for one of those and if you are on a lower end budget, get one with an Aaton mount. It will give you the ability to use lots of great, cheaper lenses.

#45 Gareth Blackstock

Gareth Blackstock
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Other
  • Australia

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:58 AM

Although I may be the only person in here these days using a Pentaflex, I reckon they might be a good alternative, if one wants more than a K3 and less than Arri, Aaton or similar.

I have found using one to be very good, aside from the shutter timing I am yet to fix, I am loving mine.  They are built well, so far pretty darn reliable, easy to service, very nice lenses are easily available and cheap, the camera runs off  12volt bike battery, hell, I even found a cheap kit in Ukraine:

https://www.ebay.com...IgAAOSw2GlXGmrp

I think an old saying is well placed here:  Buying an old camera cheap may soon cost in servicing and fixing similar to a modern one that needs less servicing and fixing.  If you are happy to keep a camera that is potentially 40 to 60 years old in service, then try to accept the high costs of employing another person to keep the camera running.

I am happy to work with older stuff, and maybe when I feel ready to justify the cost I'll go and buy an old Arriflex, sexy damn camera!

Below is a link to some work I did on my Pentaflex, there're ugly and heavy, but easy to work on...

http://canon-s8-repa...entaflex-16.php

#46 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2126 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:50 PM

Rule of thumb seems to be in the U.S. Arri parts are more available, including with the odd part still available from Arri NY (I had an Arri SR1 motherboard repaired about 5 years ago there).

Aaton/Eclair parts seem to be more available in Europe.

Every city in the U.S. had Arri camera rental houses at one point. Still quite a few rental houses around the U.S. will dust off an SR3 for you if you ask nicely.

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Glidecam