Hi everyone, I'm a filmmaker based in Kathmandu, Nepal and I'm currently in the financing stage of my first feature film. I've been on the look out for a camera system that has a super 16mm sensor, is very light weight (There are parts in the film where I plan on making the child actors operate the camera themselves), has global shutter and can output a 4:3 image directly out of the sensor.
The Digital Bolex ticks all the boxes except for a fact that it can't output a 4:3 image despite knowing that the sensor actually is capable of doing so. Since I feel out of options, I don't mind post cropping the image to get the desired output. The resulting crop will be 1536*1152.
I currently don't own a DB but we plan on getting 2 units once we have enough money. However, i have a few questions. I really hope that people here who have experience with the Digital Bolex Camera will help me out.
1. Is there anything that I need to be aware of before I jump in and decide on the Digital Bolex route ? What's your take on it's Color Science ? I've been looking at test footage, music videos and shorts posted on Vimeo and there are a handful that seem to nail the image But I don't know better because I've never used it myself.
2. Are there any technical/firmware glitches that didn't get proper attention before the company stopped the production of their camera ?
3. What mount should I go for ? There are parts in the film which will be shot in night vision mode and will require an EF or a Nikon mount. I was also looking at the Canon CN-E 18-80 4.4 lens because it's parfocal and light. But, how would I change the aperture ? Can I electronically zoom in and out (assuming that I would be able to do so if I paired it with a Canon C200 for example).
4. If an EF mount servo zoom lens is out of the option I'm also open to C, PL or m43 lenses. What would be some affordable and lightweight parfocal zooms that could work with the Digital Bolex ?
5. What would be a nice monitoring option for the camera ?
6. What's the smallest possible microphone solution for scratch audio ?
5. How much footage can I record on a 500 GB SSD ?
I know that I'm still unsure about a lot of things but I think that pretty much covers it for the time being. I am really looking forward to your suggestions.