James Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:18 AM

Hi,

This year i am DOP on two films, each with a 7 day shooting schedule and a duration of no longer then 15 Mins. My question is this, Should i use a JVC DV500?, this camera has been put through the runs as expected for a schools cam but has a nice lens and creates a pretty good picture, or should i shoot with the XL1S, which is only about 6 months old, great condition and i know it very well. Although the DV500 and maybe could be un-reliable i feel that i should be using it because of the fully manual operation compared to the XL.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

James.

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:30 AM

Hi,

I'd use the DV500 without question. The lens is likely to be better, and easier to use, and it has higher resolution.

Phil

#3 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:42 AM

Ditto on the JVC. I've used both, and the JVC I've found to be more dependable for getting the shot.

#4 James Brown

James Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 06 July 2005 - 11:09 PM

Thanks for the replies, appreciated.

What if, the XL1s had a adapter on it and you put a variety of different lenses, would it be worth it? Would the recording quality be overall better on the DV500 comparing to the XL with a better lens?

James.

#5 Allen Achterberg

Allen Achterberg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Santa Maria CA

Posted 07 July 2005 - 10:07 PM

Thanks for the replies, appreciated. 

What if, the XL1s had a adapter on it and you put a variety of different lenses, would it be worth it?  Would the recording quality be overall better on the DV500 comparing to the XL with a better lens?

James.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like the P+S Technik mount with some primes? I'd take the XL with primes over an ENG rig, that goes without saying. 've used that rig before, It's actually pretty cool in my opinion. The Lens means a lot, plus it will help with the filmlook if thats what you're going for because you will have the DOF of a 35mm and the same field of view.

#6 Jonathan Bryant

Jonathan Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, GA

Posted 07 July 2005 - 11:07 PM

The dv500 is a great camera for the money. And the fujinon lens that comes with it will be better than the xl1s electronic lens. BUT that particular fujinon is at the bottom of the barrel when comes to 1/2inch lens. You can pick up a better canon lens on ebay for about $300 that will make a huge difference in depth of field,sharpness, and light sensitivity. I would also go into the menu of the camera turn the master black level up a few notchs. And turn the gamma down one step , and then you may want to turn the color matrix off when shooting under tungsten lights because when it overpowers the reds and oranges. I would also check into some type of film look plugin like dvfilm to take away the interlaced look. Good Luck. With the color matrix off it has more accurate color but sometimes could use more color so in post you can always add alittle more saturation and it will look perfect.

#7 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:33 AM

Hi,

Explain to me how the Canon lens you suggest can affect depth of field?

Phil

#8 Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:17 AM

Explain to me how the Canon lens you suggest can affect depth of field?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Shot in the dark, but perhaps he means the Canon lens will be faster. And with those digital video cameras, having a super-fast lens could really come of some use.

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith, 08 July 2005 - 07:23 AM.

#9 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:29 AM

I've always found that fast lenses are generally the better built ones.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dniel,

Lens theory suggests that if your shooting at T4 a lens that only opens to T2 should be better than one that opens to T1.4 as the light has to travel through less glass. I guess the Master Primes are an exception!

Stephen Williams DP

www.stephenw.com

#10 Sam Wells

Sam Wells
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 July 2005 - 11:26 AM

I shot a dramatic short with the 500. I didn't have a choice of camera but it was OK, a poor person's Ikegami.

I agree the stock lens is less than exemplary (stopped down a bit not so bad).

Didn't mess with color matrix - looked to gaudy to me.

I let the black levels alone - I did what I did with lighting.
Actually I did a few shots which would otherwise have been a bit flat using black crush. Like a grey day ext, and a short boring looking suburban kitchen scene. With a 1/4 BPM this looked nice. (Most of my lighting was hardcore "film" lighting i.e. I tortured this poor little DV camera to see what I could get away with :)

It went through the Magic Bullet process at The Orphanage, de-interlace & other stuff.
(This was before they were selling the software package).

It looked pretty nice - on the D-beta master very close to the look of a film transfer.

(you don't wanna know this maybe, but a long time later my gaffer on a night ext we did showed me some Kodacolor 400 stills he shot on set that night. Kinda depressing to see in comparison what it would've been if we'd shot film B)

-Sam

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery