#1 Jon Rosenbloom

Jon Rosenbloom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:35 AM

Hi,

A short film I shot back in 2003 is going to be aired on the local PBS channel this Fri. We shot the film on video in 4:3 on the Panasonic SDX-900. I realize this is a "broadcast camera," but this is the first film of mine that's been broadcast, and I actually had a nightmare about this last night. We never framed anything w/ a TV broadcast in mind, and I am now a little bit worried that a lot of image is going to get cut off in the broadcast. Do we need to make some sort of dupe for broadcast in which our OAR is a little reduced and matted, does the broadcaster handle it, or, do I not need to worry about it?

Thanks for any info. BTW, the film, "Superstore," is part of WNET's "Reel New York" series, shown at 9PM (10pm?) Friday night. Depending on the answer to the above questions, I will hope that someone will watch! :)

Jon R

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:02 PM

Usually a broadcaster won't allow black side mattes in the image except for titles. If PBS broadcasts it in 16x9, a 4x3 video will be cropped top & bottom.

#3 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 06 July 2005 - 11:25 PM

4:3 safe action is 5%, i.e thats the average amount most tv sets will crop off the edges of the images - some show slightly more, some less.

If this is a problem for you, and you do have important information in the outmost 5% edge of the frame - you could always call the engineering dept of the broadcaster to see if they would allow a side matt for this situation. Its better to ask, then have the master rejected.

Also, make sure all video levels are legal and all captions are within the safe text area (10%)

#4 Jon Rosenbloom

Jon Rosenbloom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:08 PM

Thanks, Phil. Some friends here reassured me that it's a really insignifcant cropping.

Visual Products

Tai Audio

The Slider

CineTape

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC