#1 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1175 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:20 PM

Greetings, posters from the future year of 2028! By now you should have at least a few DS8 colour stocks to choose from, and I'm sure you're enjoying feeding your DS8 cameras with the best stocks available.

However, our timeline might be diverted from becoming your reality, if hobbyists don't do something about the dire conditions of DS8 in 2018. There have been no colour stocks for years now. Many converted Bolex H8 cameras, perfect for shooting DS8, sit unused due to the lack of film. Only Fomapan seems to still exist.

In all of this time, only Paul Cotto had come forward with an idea for a perforator. Well, his interests went elsewhere and no one has risen to take his place.

I'm sure some of our present hobbyists have thought about costs of building a perforator. What conclusions did they arrive at?

I think a Kickstarter should be created for a Super 8/DS8 perforator, because it can't possibly be an unattainable goal. People everywhere want more filmstock for their cameras. Perhaps it is time for hobbyists to put their heads together and take advantage of modern crowdfunding.

Otherwise that future of a 2028 where we are all shooting any Super 8 stock we want will be a parallel universe.

#2 Jean-Louis Seguin

Jean-Louis Seguin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • Other
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:51 PM

Wittner in Germany announced a few years ago that they had acquired a perforator for DS8 and had it completely refurbished at great expense and had the intention to offer DS8 stocks.AFAIK nothing ever came of this project. If they still have the machine they're not using it.

Retro8 in Japan has a new perforator that seems capable of producing DS8.

#3 Luigi Castellitto

Luigi Castellitto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Campobasso (Italy)

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:41 PM

I use a nice Pathé Webo BTL (which I'm sending to overhaul). With Fomapan, of course, 30 meters, but also 10 meters, even if the Pathé can only contain 30 meters reels, I rewind the 10m reels in 30m reels.
I also know that the Retro 8 machine can cut films in DS8, since it's a Super 8 machine that forms the same holes, and doing the same on two sides of a 16mm should not be difficult.

The DS8 is a format never used properly (also for few emulsions :( ), it's great...

#4 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1491 posts
  • Other
  • Basel, Switzerland

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:29 AM

Bombard Kodak with money offers. Bombard Wittner with money offers. Bombard Ilford with money offers. Buy Fomapan R. Bombard Foma Bohemia with money offers. Lend me $6,000 for tooling up my Kodak-Chalon-16mm perforator.

#5 Jean-Louis Seguin

Jean-Louis Seguin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • Other
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:39 AM

Back in the 60s and 70s, DS8 was cheaper by the foot than super8 in cartridges. There was a definite economic advantage to shooting DS8. After when demand fell, it became a specialty product and DS8 became generally more expensive than super8 cartridges. Only Fomapan's prices have remained reasonable.

#6 Maik Lobborn

Maik Lobborn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Electrician

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:27 PM

Wittner did offer DS8 approx. 2014-2016. It was even listed in the new webshop until recently. MOQ was 24 rolls (IIRC). Obviously sales did not even justify to keep the product listed. Today only S8 50ft, R8 25ft, 16mm 1R 100ft+400ft and sometimes 1200ft. Thats it. No DS8, no 16mm 2R, no R8 100ft+400ft any more :-(

#7 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1175 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:04 PM

Wittner did offer DS8 approx. 2014-2016. It was even listed in the new webshop until recently. MOQ was 24 rolls (IIRC). Obviously sales did not even justify to keep the product listed. Today only S8 50ft, R8 25ft, 16mm 1R 100ft+400ft and sometimes 1200ft. Thats it. No DS8, no 16mm 2R, no R8 100ft+400ft any more :-(

It's possible that expecting a customer to order 24 rolls at a time was a bit much.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Technodolly

Visual Products

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment