Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1196 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Australia/Wherever The Wind Takes Me

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:53 PM

TELEMMGLPICT000156394558_trans_NvBQzQNjv

About bloody time. But deservingly, it was for yet another masterpiece from a true master.

#2 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:14 AM

Should have won so many times before, but yes, well deserved. Congratulations Roger!

#3 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2354 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 05 March 2018 - 02:34 AM

Yes ! one of the weirdest things he has never won before.. not so long ago he was 2 of the 4 nominees and still didnt win !!  but the nominations are more of show of his standing as voted by peers .. rather than academy members just looking for pretty pictures..

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 12284 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:35 AM

I think he has deserved an Oscar before, but if I were an Academy member, I wouldn't have voted for most of the things that won this year.

#5 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2354 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 05 March 2018 - 05:33 AM

Maybe.. but it was patiently absurd Roger Deakins hadn't won an Oscar in 13? or so nominations.. even when he had shot 2 of the 4 films nominated.. it just had to happen this year ..

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 12284 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 March 2018 - 05:56 AM

Yes, it's clearly a lifetime achievement award in all but name, and fair play on that basis, but I'm not sure that Blade Runner was the piece of genius that people are describing it as.

Honestly, some of the opening scenes looked amazingly - and this is a terrible, terrible insult - Doctor Who, as if they'd been shot in a quarry in Wales which we're pretending is the planet Zzyzzyzyzyx III.

P

#7 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1749 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:17 AM

Yes, it's clearly a lifetime achievement award in all but name, and fair play on that basis, but I'm not sure that Blade Runner was the piece of genius that people are describing it as.

Honestly, some of the opening scenes looked amazingly - and this is a terrible, terrible insult - Doctor Who, as if they'd been shot in a quarry in Wales which we're pretending is the planet Zzyzzyzyzyx III.

P

I couldn't agree more. Over all  there seems to be a bit of a bell curve in play at the academy this year. I enjoyed Shape of Water, but Oscar worthy?? In my opinion Three Billboards was the most deserved of the nominees. Get Out should have had a lot more accolades, although I am glad it got Best Original Screenplay. 

Edited by Chris Burke, 05 March 2018 - 06:20 AM.

#8 aapo lettinen

aapo lettinen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts
  • Other
  • Finland

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:49 AM

Well deserved award indeed! 

---------------

I think the problem with previous nominations has been that Deakins's style is generally too "movie centric, not visually stunning+contrasty+experimental+vfx enough" for Academy Awards... the Oscars seem to be generally about who has "Most VFX", "Most Sound Design", "Most Cinematography", etc. and not about who does visually and technically wonderful results (not "in your face ad-like colour explosion -like" enough) 

Deakins previously being like "too good, not stunning enough, too related to the story" for the awards :/  

Edited by aapo lettinen, 05 March 2018 - 06:53 AM.

#9 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2354 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:50 AM

Oscars have always been weird .. Redford gets one for the first film he directs.. and Kubrick ,Welles,Fellini, Altman etc never did ..

#10 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1196 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Australia/Wherever The Wind Takes Me

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:40 AM

P

All I can say is, I thoroughly disagree.

I think Deakins is clearly still at the top of his game, and Bladerunner is hardly some token effort gifted as a kind of pseudo-lifetime achievement award. With Lausten's spectacular use of colour in Shape of Water, and the visceral impact of Van Hoytema's camera on Dunkirk, it was hardly a weak year in the cinematography category.

#11 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2041 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:54 PM

Nobody has been more deserving of an Oscar except maybe Ennio Morricone! Roger should have won at least 2-3 times earlier. Congrats to him!

#12 Darrell Ayer

Darrell Ayer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:17 PM

I saw a breakdown of all the movies he's lost to over  the years and every one of them was deserving of their Oscar, it's just bad luck.  It's just a perpetual near miss until this year.  I'm very glad he won, I can't wait to see how his work continues to push the envelope.

#13 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 20191 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:22 PM

Hate to nitpick... but I noticed that more and more people are just posting questions to the General Discussion category -- this post should have been under the Cinematographers subforum.

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS