#1 Rolando Morales

Rolando Morales
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:21 PM

My first roll of Super 8. I shot very random scenes mostly at 18fps. I mixed in a few 24 and 54 fps. Most of the roll was under exposed a tad bit but nothing I couldn't fix in FCP. I am not sure what setting I had it on, bulb or tungsten. I do know I switched it back and forth here and there. I tried testing most settings and in very different lighting situations. As you can see towards the end I was shooting inside my living room with cloudy ambient light entering the room.

I am pleased and look forward to shooting some more.

Thanks to this forum and all of you who I have asked a ton of questions (Nick C. !) and all who have contributed for others to learn from. I have a ton of questions still AND I already purchased a second camera, a Canon 310XL.

Nizo 801
Kodak Tri-X 7266
Cinelab process and 2k scan

1 - Notch hack, yes or no? Do I even need it? I mainly ask for the Kodak films available and the Nizo 801 and/or Canon 310XL. My idea is just pop in the film and let either camera do its thing.

2 - Criticism is welcomed, but this is my FIRST roll. So any tips or suggestions can be helpful to me.

3- I added instrumental music. I wasn't going to but my wife said she liked it so I kept it. volume off if you want to keep it silent.

https://vimeo.com/258906211

#2 Jon O'Brien

Jon O'Brien
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:03 PM

Looks wonderful. I love real film!!

#3 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:24 AM

I agree, it looks great! Loving the Tri-X

#4 Christopher Ian

Christopher Ian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Other
  • Philadelphia, PA

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:22 AM

That looks great! I like it. Did you use a light meter? I need to try some Tri X. 

I was lucky on my first roll that I correctly guessed the aperture settings, but I think that was beginner's luck. 

#5 Rolando Morales

Rolando Morales
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:17 AM

Thanks everyone! I'll admit, nothing much to look at. But this is a reason I also chose S8 to shoot. I wanted this look and feel of everyday memories. I had to downsize the file to post on Vimeo (free account).

I did not use a light meter. I wanted to see how the cameras meter held up and to also learn the internal meter. 

I have a roll of 200t from my recent trip to Georgia with some friends and this weekend I will be shooting another roll of 200t in my new to me Canon 310xl. Another "test roll" for that one. Can't wait to see those yet either haha

#6 Nick Collingwood

Nick Collingwood
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York, NY

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:16 PM

Ha! You're very welcome. Always happy to help newcomers to the format. Spread the Super 8 love.

First roll looks good! Tri-X is a tricky stock in that there's not much latitude since it's reversal but this looks good. Obviously those last shots are a bit low but mostly fine. Needs a bit of levels/contrast added and you'll have some great stuff.

The 801 with Tri-X should always be shot on bulb. Otherwise it'll read as 100 which will overexpose it.

The 310XL is a solid little camera. Not as sharp but great for low light. Get some 500T and really see what Super 8 can do in low light. Sam can vouch.

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC