New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC, NY

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:45 AM

Hey all, 

It's now 2018, and I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck for an HD DIY solution for video taps on their XTR or LTRs...  Interested in adding a tap to my XTR, but was hoping I could do it myself in HD... not sure if anyone has any info or sagely advise they can give...

Thanks!

#2 Bruce Greene

Bruce Greene
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 March 2018 - 12:01 PM

I built a video tap for my Arri BL years ago.  I found a little camera and lens and then had a machinist help me with building the hardware.  It wasn't too difficult.  

Does your camera already have some kind of video tap ready hardware installed?  I mean the split mirror box with mirror?  If so, it should not be so hard.  Just remember when you design your camera mount to include adjustability to align the camera to frame the ground glass correctly.  You will also need to be able to adjust the focus and iris of the camera lens in some way, and perhaps the camera-ground glass distance to get the size correct.

These days you may be able to build the thing using a 3d printer, which would make it much easier.

#3 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4091 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 March 2018 - 02:45 PM

The XTR is hard sadly because the mount is pretty proprietary. I had someone recently use a tap he made for a different camera on my Aaton 35III and it worked great. I really wish someone would make adaptor mounts for go pro's and such. Maybe I should just work on it again... ugggggg

I think the go pro is the best way to do it, but there would need to be optics in the mount to make it work with the built-in go pro lens.

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 12170 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 March 2018 - 04:47 AM

I wonder how well a camera with a pretty noticeable rolling shutter, such as a GoPro, would work unless synchronised with the film camera. It's not that difficult to find machine vision cameras which are externally triggered and might make for better results. I haven't looked but the simplest of them don't tend to be that expensive, even.

#5 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4091 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 March 2018 - 11:25 AM

I wonder how well a camera with a pretty noticeable rolling shutter, such as a GoPro, would work unless synchronised with the film camera. It's not that difficult to find machine vision cameras which are externally triggered and might make for better results. I haven't looked but the simplest of them don't tend to be that expensive, even.

The tap my friend used on my XTR didn't have a trigger. However, he didn't use a go pro. You could do an electronic trigger that when the signal is gone, it "holds current frame until signal returns". Maybe that would work?

#6 Jayson Bosteder

Jayson Bosteder

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:58 PM

I'm in the process of purchasing an XTR. The video tap has lost the red channel and remains on when the camera runs. Do you guys have a recommendation for a service provider or a solution to upgrade it to an HD feed?

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera