#1 andrewbuchanan

andrewbuchanan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:33 PM

I have an older S3 Cooke lens (18mm) that came with a camera I bought. It is in astioundingly good condition escept a tiny hairy spot that looks like fungus on one of the smaller back elements. I'd really like to get the lens cleaned and serviced and see if it is still useable. However, it seems most lens service companies don't want anything with fungus to get near their service area (which is totally understandable).

However, bad things have to happen to good lenses from time to time - does anyone deal with this problem? I've isolated this lens in an airtight container (to protect my other lenses), but should I just trash it? I hate to throw out suck a great old lens, but don't want spores getting around my cameras or other lenses. Any advice would be appreciated.

#2 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 July 2005 - 12:24 AM

Maybe you could find a rental house tech that would be willing to take your lens and do the work on his/her own at home. That could solve your problem maybe. Good luck.

#3 John Mastrogiacomo

John Mastrogiacomo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 210 posts
  • Other
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 09 July 2005 - 01:24 AM

I have an older S3 Cooke lens (18mm) that came with a camera I bought. It is in astioundingly good condition escept a tiny hairy spot that looks like fungus on one of the smaller back elements. I'd really like to get the lens cleaned and serviced and see if it is still useable. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Checkout this link. Strong X-rays can solve your problem, but it must be done by a competent technician. Sunshine may also help, if the lens does not have any modern multi-coatings.
http://www.cinematec...ns_service.html
:)

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Opal

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport