10 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 12349 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:12 AM

Hi folks

I've received permission from Tim to post this here, as I'll be on the beg in a moment.

Quite a few times recently we've had discussions about relatively simple pieces of equipment which could easily be built by a reasonably adventurous person. These things include simple LED lighting, dimmers to drive them, higher power LEDs, reworking of existing lights, cable fabrication, and other bits and pieces of general utility. Often, these projects have been more or less based on the assembly of a few preexisting modules and devices in a box, which is fairly common practice anyway.

In each case it's seemed like a bit overcomplex to go into a step-by-step description of the work involved on the site, so I'd thought about producing some short, five-minute videos giving an idea how some of it can be done to produce things that are genuinely useful.

It had occurred to me to put up some sort of crowdfund for this, possibly something like Patreon, to cover parts costs and a bit of time. It wouldn't involve huge amounts of money and I wouldn't expect to make a serious wage out of it, but it'd be nice not to end up hugely out of pocket.

Anyway, I'm posting here to see what the reaction is. What do we think?

P

#2 Miguel Angel

Miguel Angel
  • Sustaining Members
  • 877 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain / Ireland / South Africa

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:14 AM

I like the idea! 

:wub:

#3 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1597 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:25 AM

You'll need it to appeal to more than guys like us to have it get the audience which would crowdfund a significant amount.

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 12349 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:43 AM

I think that's the thing, really, it doesn't need to be a very significant amount. We're only talking about a few tens, maybe a hundred units of currency for most of these things.

#5 tom lombard

tom lombard
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Other
  • nebraska

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:52 AM

If putting together parts list & build videos, it shouldn't amount to much other than a set of parts and someones time.  It would be worth contributing to in order to get _current_ info on builds from a cinematographer's perspective rather than an outdated YouTube from some tech geek who's focused on that end of things.

#6 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1597 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:05 PM

I think that's the thing, really, it doesn't need to be a very significant amount. We're only talking about a few tens, maybe a hundred units of currency for most of these things.

You need about 3,000 hits a video to amass an audience which combines for $100 per video release. And that's after 10 or so engaging videos have been released. For the first year or two it very much will be out of pocket... Those are Patreon's trends at least.

#7 tom lombard

tom lombard
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Other
  • nebraska

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:18 PM

You need about 3,000 hits a video to amass an audience which combines for $100 per video release. And that's after 10 or so engaging videos have been released. For the first year or two it very much will be out of pocket... Those are Patreon's trends at least.

Is that what is being proposed?  Trying to get hits from "engaging videos"?  Isn't this about someone purchasing, for example, $100 in parts and creating a video showing _us_ how this is done?  It may well be that 10 of us would be willing to pay $10 each for this and then be able to put something together with $100 worth of parts rather than paying $750 for the equivalent item elsewhere.  Some additional clarification on the proposal might be helpful.

#8 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 12349 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:33 PM

Yes, that's pretty much the idea.

One of the ideas was to do a 100w LED light, fort instance, demonstrating the use of off the shelf thermal hardware. It would involve one of Yuji's LED modules,a cooler, and sundry electronics.

#9 tom lombard

tom lombard
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Other
  • nebraska

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:40 PM

Yes, that's pretty much the idea.

One of the ideas was to do a 100w LED light, fort instance, demonstrating the use of off the shelf thermal hardware. It would involve one of Yuji's LED modules,a cooler, and sundry electronics.

Maybe use that as a starting point?  Come up with a list of part, tools, etc that would be needed and rough estimate of time to put it all together.  Add in what your time would be worth and see if there wouldn't be enough interest here to generate that bit of cash for you to do it.  I'd certainly be interested in that specific project.

#10 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1597 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:05 PM

When Patreon was brought up, that implies that this'll be a routine thing which needs a routine cashflow.

It may well be that 10 of us would be willing to pay $10 each for this

This is adorably optimistic. I hope it can work that way for Phil.

#11 tom lombard

tom lombard
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Other
  • nebraska

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:10 PM

tom lombard, on 29 Mar 2018 - 12:18 PM, said:

snapback.png

It may well be that 10 of us would be willing to pay $10 each for this

This is adorably optimistic. I hope it can work that way for Phil.

The 10 x $10 were my words and, yes, I'm adorably optimistic :-)

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam