#1 bradkane

bradkane

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 July 2005 - 12:46 AM

Hoping someone here can help me out... need some advice by end of weekend.

We're trying to transfer some high-speed sports footage from HD-D5 to a firewire drive, so that we can edit the material in Final Cut Pro. The drive will be connected to a fast G5.

What is the most effective way to do this? We have about 8 hours of content (4 tapes), and 250 GIGs of free space. We only have access to the D5 deck for one day, and we don't really have a budget to purchase any additional equipment beyond what we already have.

The resolution of the footage in FCP does not need to be as high as on the D5's by any means. Just at least as good looking as an HD TV broadcast. In short, it just needs to look HD.

Looking for advice on how to setup the digitization, what compression settings to use, etc. Any and all advice welcome.

Please email me at bradkane@gmail.com if possible. Thanks.

#2 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 July 2005 - 02:40 PM

Hoping someone here can help me out... need some advice by end of weekend.

We're trying to transfer some high-speed sports footage from HD-D5 to a firewire drive, so that we can edit the material in Final Cut Pro.  The drive will be connected to a fast G5.

What is the most effective way to do this?  We have about 8 hours of content (4 tapes), and 250 GIGs of free space.  We only have access to the D5 deck for one day, and we don't really have a budget to purchase any additional equipment beyond what we already have.

The resolution of the footage in FCP does not need to be as high as on the D5's by any means.  Just at least as good looking as an HD TV broadcast.  In short, it just needs to look HD.

Looking for advice on how to setup the digitization, what compression settings to use, etc.  Any and all advice welcome. 

Please email me at bradkane@gmail.com if possible.  Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your information is a bit too vague. As good as HDTV broadcast? You want to master to 720P, 1080P or 1080i? 8 hours of content or rushes? 8 hours of content will not fit on 250gigs in any true HD format. 250 gigs of what kind of drive- ide, raid? Why put the footage onto firewire in the first place? The answer without other information is pretty worthless, but at a guess you'll need to set up a raid array and buy a BM decklink or Kona 2 card. Hire the deck twice, once for the offline, once for the online. If you actually want 8 hours of uncompressed HD on your mac your going to need to spend over $10000.

Give me more information and I could help you further.

Keith

#3 Michael Most

Michael Most
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 July 2005 - 07:29 PM

We only have access to the D5 deck for one day, and we don't really have a budget to purchase any additional equipment beyond what we already have.

And what equipment is it that you already have?

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

The Slider

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc