#1 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:42 PM

I bought some Kinos last year and have been very happy with the ridiculous soft quality of the lights.

One struggle I've had with other fluorescent lamps is an ugly green cast. I thought Kino tubes were specially designed to have no ugly green cast, but I looked at the website the other day and saw this chart from the company.

11b4f7baf67341b2d13d937623e7bae0.png

Clearly in their documentation it does reveal green spikes exist.

Could anyone tell me the reason as to why I don't notice it nearly as much as other fluorescent lamps? What are they doing different with their tech from others?

Thanks for any input.

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7324 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 08 April 2018 - 02:20 PM

They (and a few others) just use a better chemistry for the coatings on the inside which is what actually fluoresces. GE and Phillips also make high CRI tubes (or at least used to) which were comparable to Kino quality without the price. Also Kino tubes are designed to be run in "overdrive" e.g. they overpower them a bit for output and color fidelity (hence why a Kino won't look as good in a non-kino ballasted situation, such as my kitchen where I have K32 tubes).

Almost all non-tungsten light has a green spike, including HMI and LED, it all just depends on how broad, strong, and where in the green color spectrum the spike is as to how it'll read on a camera/film.

#3 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:00 PM

They (and a few others) just use a better chemistry for the coatings on the inside which is what actually fluoresces. GE and Phillips also make high CRI tubes (or at least used to) which were comparable to Kino quality without the price. Also Kino tubes are designed to be run in "overdrive" e.g. they overpower them a bit for output and color fidelity (hence why a Kino won't look as good in a non-kino ballasted situation, such as my kitchen where I have K32 tubes).

Almost all non-tungsten light has a green spike, including HMI and LED, it all just depends on how broad, strong, and where in the green color spectrum the spike is as to how it'll read on a camera/film.

Would you be able to link any 4000+ lumen tubes with that high CRI?

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7324 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:05 PM

There're around. I don't recall the names/models off of the top of my head, but a quick google search produces these:

https://www.amazon.c...0/dp/B0009INXIO

granted, those are T8 and not T12 (normal Kino) but still, seemingly nice and high CRI lights.

As these are all 90+ CRI you could use them for film:

https://www.bulbs.co...bs/results.aspx

You really won't get super high Lumen for a typical tube w/o over-driving it as you do with a Kino.

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC