#1 Louis

Louis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Student
  • San Fernando Valley, CA

Posted 09 July 2005 - 05:15 PM

I read an article in AC last month about a certain DP shooting tests for a short film by buying stock samples that she could use in a still camera. Does anyone know anything about this practice? It seems like a much cheaper way to shoot tests for films, although I guess it wouldn't quite look the same because of the different processing that still film goes through. Either way, I'd be curious to find out more about this new method. It would be a great way to use your favorite film stocks to just take pictures, and it would also be a great way to try out new film stocks in an inexpensive way.

#2 Thomas Cousin

Thomas Cousin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 10 July 2005 - 05:08 AM

hello,
i worked with a DP who used this method. you can take the emulsion you want to test (a 35mm sample roll that kodak or fuji may give you if you ask. sometimes i think they have 30m/100Ft roll for that).
you can cut about 1,5m of film in a darkromm and load it on a empty 135 empty cartridge for 24x36 still photography. you can find these empty cartridges in any photography shop i guess.
i prepared some cartridges like this for the DP. you load it then you maybe have to cut the outside extremity of the film to be able to load it properly in your 24x36 camera. have a look of "normal" 135 negative to see how they are cut.
this is the easy step, because after your tests you need to go to the labs, and i was told that they sometimes don't want to process such a short amount of film. so you need to know well the lab and ask them.
here in france, when i thought about it myself, other DPs told me that now it is nearly impossible to do such a thing because the labs don't want to do it anymore, unless you know very well the guy at the developper machine. and then you also have to print your test, to watch it like you watch slides.
i guess it's still possible, but you maybe have to insist.

anyone else did it recently? i am so interested in this method too. great for testing emulsion, doing key light, and testing filters with the proper stock too. maybe in other countries it's a more frequently used method. i would like to know.

one more thing. i think you have to use only the middle of the roll for the test, because the ends on both sidse are going to be waste when it goes through the developper machine.

bye

thomas

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc