Thomas Cousin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 10 July 2005 - 05:37 AM

hello,
i intend to use push process for the new 250D 7205.
as my main stock for a project, i want to stay with it for this one dark gritty daylight interior, and probably i am going to push it 2 stops. to work at low light level but especially to obtain a more contrasty, textured, slight grainy negative.
it's super 16mm, the project will go straight to telecinema and video. no print.
does anyone experienced with such a force developped negative in the vision 2 stocks ?
i will probably rate it at 800asa. do i have to worry about the detail and quality of the stock in this lower part of the curve ? will the push raise the D min level, what about the blacks ? i know i can get those blacks back in telecine but i would like to know.
and what do you think about my latitude of exposure, even rated at 800, i want to expose faces and some details under the key (up to 1 / 1,5 stops for caucasian faces and dark parts of the frames further, to 3 to 4 stops under). will my shadows be detailed ? with 2 stops push (which i never experienced myself), i wonder how well is the lower part of the curve and how well it reacts.

bye

thomas

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 10 July 2005 - 05:52 AM

hello,
i intend to use push process for the new 250D 7205.
as my main stock for a project, i want to stay with it for this one dark gritty daylight interior, and probably i am going to push it 2 stops. to work at low light level but especially to obtain a more contrasty, textured, slight grainy negative.
it's super 16mm, the project will go straight to telecinema and video. no print.
does anyone experienced with such a force developped negative in the vision 2 stocks ?
i will probably rate it at 800asa. do i have to worry about the detail and quality of the stock in this lower part of the curve ? will the push raise the D min level, what about the blacks ? i know i can get those blacks back in telecine but i would like to know.
and what do you think about my latitude of exposure, even rated at 800, i want to expose faces and some details under the key (up to 1 / 1,5 stops for caucasian faces and dark parts of the frames further, to 3 to 4 stops under). will my shadows be detailed ? with 2 stops push (which i never experienced myself), i wonder how well is the lower part of the curve and how well it reacts.

bye

thomas

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

For a 2 Stop push I would want to test it myself!

#3 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 21 July 2005 - 02:10 PM

I'd go no more than a 1-stop push, and correct the rest during printing or transfer. The increased graininess and contrast of a 2-stop push will be quite obvious, especially in 16mm.

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam