2 replies to this topic

#1 Brandon Ruiz

Brandon Ruiz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:06 PM

I'm shooting a warehouse interior day for night on a music video and want to try gelling or papering windows warmer for a stylized look to suggest sodium vapor coming from outside. Tenting and lighting isn't really in the budget. Anyone have any luck with a material that looks good on windows DFN? I'm pretty sure a straight CTS or CTO gel on the windows won't give me the the contrast to suggest a night exterior. Maybe something like unbleached waxed paper would work? 

#2 Frank Wylie

Frank Wylie
  • Sustaining Members
  • 58 posts
  • Other
  • Culpeper, VA

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:45 PM

Save yourself some heartache;  tent the windows and relight the panes with the proper gels if you can. 

Shooting natural light with gels or paper will be a continuity nightmare as the sun shifts overhead.

If you are uncertain, just put some cheap butcher paper over the windows and run a timelapse test of the duration that would be your shoot.  I think you'll see the problems that might occur by trying to use natural light over an extended period.

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7373 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:07 PM

Another option would be to use 1000H  Vellum on the windows and then color correct it later on (or do a LUT in camera) to make it that nasty color. I'd realty TEST to see what gel you could use on your own lighting in order to give you a white reference (something blue-ish, probably).

Of course, if you don't completely black out the windows you'll still not have much contrast unless you're using HUGE units; so honestly your best bet would be to just black out all the windows and have the outside be "black" and then use lights on the inside.

The Slider

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio