from xdcam progresive to film

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ariel

ariel
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2005 - 08:29 AM

Hi, I'm shooting a film with the xdcam in progresive mode, going for a transfer to film. The default shutter speed for the xd in progresive mode is 1/25. my question is, if it's going to be transfered to film, what shutter speed should I use? 1/25? 1/50?
thanks,

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 10 July 2005 - 09:04 AM

Hi, I'm shooting a film with the xdcam in progresive mode, going for a transfer to film. The default shutter speed for the xd in progresive mode is 1/25. my question is, if it's going to be transfered to film, what shutter speed should I use? 1/25? 1/50?
thanks,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

1/50 at 25fps would be good

Stephen

#3 Mike Donis

Mike Donis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Director
  • Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 10 July 2005 - 12:04 PM

1/50 at 25fps would be good

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Definitely - a motion picture camera would generally use a 180 degree shutter, and a 180 degree shutter at 25fps would give you a shutter speed of 1/50 second.

1/25 would make everything look smooth - similar to the look of most of "Collateral". When converted to film (assuming it will be 24fps) - the motion would look almost exactly like most 24fps film.

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 July 2005 - 12:07 PM

1/50th would create a similar affect on motion blur as a 180 degree shutter angle if the camera runs at 25 fps.

1/25th at 25 fps isn't even possible with a film camera, so you get a smearier motion rendition than looks natural for film. But if you need the extra exposure and there isn't too much motion in the frame, you can get away with it in emergencies (or for a look.)

#5 Mike Donis

Mike Donis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Director
  • Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 11 July 2005 - 12:14 AM

Definitely - a motion picture camera would generally use a 180 degree shutter, and a 180 degree shutter at 25fps would give you a shutter speed of 1/50 second.

1/25 would make everything look smooth - similar to the look of most of "Collateral". When converted to film (assuming it will be 24fps) - the motion would look almost exactly like most 24fps film.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I clearly contradicted myself - and meant to say a 1/50 shutter, when converted to film, the motion would look like 24fps film.

Might as well just leave these things to David anyways - he's clearer, more concise, and rarely makes mistakes!

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Opal

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks