#1 Annie Wengenroth

Annie Wengenroth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 10 July 2005 - 07:45 PM

So today I took my camera out to clean it as part of the epic battle against the humidity of Savannah...and much to my dismay, I'm down to one mag until I can fix the felt on the roller. (I have an Arriflex S) It has started to come off and I'm wondering what type of glue is safe to use in order to get it back on there, or is it even worth attempting myself? Should I just bite the bullet and get a new mag and use this one as a doorstop or paperweight?

I have no problem with putting a little more money into this camera package in order to get it in good condition (or even STELLAR!), it's just that I'm not really up for throwing down so much cash all at once and if there is anything I can fix myself, I'd be more inclined to do that first. I am truly interested in learning how to repair and maintain film cameras; part of why I bought this, was with the intent of cleaning it up myself. From what I can tell so far, it just needs a lot of TLC; it runs and the only time it ate film was when I messed up the loop...but it probably needs some oiling and things like that, particularly due to the humidity down here. I'm concerned that if I continue to run it without doing a more thorough maintenance job, it could eventually develop problems.

Which brings me to my next question...does anybody know where I could obtain a service (not user's) manual for this camera? Don't worry, I'm not going to do anything ridiculous if it seems beyond my abilities, I just want to get a better idea of what I'm up against as far as getting this baby ship-shape. It's close, but not quite there, in part because of my lenses, which are so dirty it's embarrassing.

In addition, I have gone to the end of the earth to find a [5-pin] battery, thought I'd finally scored a decent Cine 60 belt, only to find that it will not hold a charge. I guess until I figure something else out, I have 2 paperweights. :rolleyes: I bet the old mag would make a great ashtray as well...

Dammit people. Don't buy your own film cameras unless you're crazy like me and truly enjoy fixing things, because you will need to! :P

Advice? Pat on the back? Round of drinks? Cheap rebuilding of old Cine 60 battery belt?

#2 Nathan Milford

Nathan Milford
  • Sustaining Members
  • 692 posts
  • Director
  • New York, NY

Posted 10 July 2005 - 11:25 PM

I have it in a pdf.

e-mail me here nathan (AT) abelcine.com

I'll send it your way.

- nathan

#3 Annie Wengenroth