#1 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:57 PM

I see a lot of Sony DVW-709WS, DVW-790WS, stuff, but I'm assuming those were budget models?

I need the minds of the industry veterans here! Stuff major networks were using.

Thanks.

#2 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4304 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:27 PM

The 790WS was the "premiere" all-in-one model. 

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 12338 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:07 PM

The was a DVW-970 which could do progressive scan. There was an option board to produce 3:2 pulldown on NTSC models. I'm not sure how this was handled on the PAL version but I suspect it was just shot and recorded at 25.

The 790 was the archetypal version, though. Seen and used everywhere, on everything, right up to the high end.

#4 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2453 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:21 PM

Great camera.. the earlier digibeta,s (700) I think from memory.. had a 4-3 sensor and VF and would crop for 16-9.. which was just coming in.. the 790 and 709 the big improvement was a 16-9 sensor /VF that cropped to 4-3.. used mine for 15 years.. paid for my house.. and was the industry work horse for just about everything.. before HD camer along.. I even got £1,500 trade in for it.. on my f5 in the UK..(any pro Sony camera ).. I phoned to check if my digibeta ( gathering dust under the bed) counted.. and they said yes !..  it served me well.. 

Edited by Robin R Probyn, 17 May 2018 - 07:22 PM.

#5 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3432 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:37 PM

I used to shoot all the time with DigiBeta, mostly 790 WS. It was the workhorse camera in Britain for a long time, and a lot of the big TV shows used it. Nice cameras, but long in the tooth now, and only standard def.

#6 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2453 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 18 May 2018 - 03:09 AM

Im pretty sure they had the first color VF too as an option .. remember having a lend of one.. but was a total eye ball melter and cost a fortune .. but it did exist ..

#7 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:48 PM

I did a short film on the PAL DVW-970 it looked surprisingly good, progressive scan - recorded using PsF so just split across 2 fields on the tape. 

We ran it through a Snell and Willcox upconveter for a screening at the BFI. It held up really well, it could give the first generation Panasonic HD Varicam a run for its money. 

In the UK most channels demanded Digi-Beta origination and these cameras cost in the $30-40k bracket and now you can get sub $5000 cameras that meet broadcast specs...fun times. When I was cutting my teeth on miniDV, I was always trying to seek out opportunities to shoot on digibeta - I normally ended up compromising on the loverly Sony DSR570WSP - the DVCAM workhorse of the digital indie film crowd. Thats the one in my profile pic - 1/4 black pro-mist and de-interlace in post and try to convince yourself its film

#8 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5314 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 May 2018 - 04:30 PM

A pity that the DVW-970 arrived too late, an editor friend said that on SD. it looked better than material shot on a F900 and then converted to SD.

#9 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 25 May 2018 - 03:35 AM

A pity that the DVW-970 arrived too late, an editor friend said that on SD. it looked better than material shot on a F900 and then converted to SD.

I'd believe that wasn't the F900 only 3:1:1 colour sampling at 8bit. So digibeta's 4:2:2 10 bit is going to beat HDCAM in everything but resolution.  

#10 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5314 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 May 2018 - 03:42 AM

Indeed it was, that's why it was a pity that it didn't come out sooner, rather than when SD was pretty much on the way out in the UK..

#11 Michael Rodin

Michael Rodin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Moscow

Posted 25 May 2018 - 08:59 AM

Ikegami HL59 had a better camera head than 970, with very solid color science, surpassed only by D-Cinema cameras like F35 years later, but no progressive scan, of course.

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Glidecam

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport