#1 Steven Budden

Steven Budden
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Other
  • San Francisco

Posted 10 July 2005 - 11:07 PM

I need a Pelican flight case for my bolex. I want the smallest one I get get away with (with primes) for easy travel. Anyone have any specific sizes, configurations that work. I'll be mostly hand winding when travelling. Also, I notice there is precut and pluck foam. Does that pluck foam work well?

Thanks!

Steven

#2 Fran Kuhn

Fran Kuhn
  • Sustaining Members
  • 352 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 July 2005 - 01:51 AM

I need a Pelican flight case for my bolex. I want the smallest one I get get away with (with primes) for easy travel. Anyone have any specific sizes, configurations that work. I'll be mostly hand winding when travelling. Also, I notice there is precut and pluck foam. Does that pluck foam work well?

Thanks!

Steven

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You might try looking into the 1450, 1500 or 1550 cases. I don't have the exact dimensions (Google over to Pelican's website for exact dimensions info), but these are relatively compact cases that should be at or under the airline carry-on size limit (though you should first check size limits with those always friendly-and-helpful airline people.) I have a 1500 case set up to carry a B&H filmo with four lenses, filters, film, a meter and accessories. I also recently purchased a Pelican 1510 wheeled travel case, which is somewhat larger, but it is still carry-on legal and I managed to pack an Aaton A-Minima and four Zeiss superspeed primes, (8) 3x3 filters, (1) extra mag, (2) batteries, a clip-on mattebox and meter into it.

No matter which case you get, you might consider getting it with the adjustable padded velcro divider set instead of the foam. Most of Pelican's cases offer this divider set for an additional charge, and this will let you reconfigure the case if you want to add some piece of equipment to your kit, which invariably seems to happen at some point. It's also just a lot easier to deal with than the foam. The other choice you'll need to make is color. If you think the case will end up sitting out in the hot sun, go with the gray color instead of basic black.

#3 Annie Wengenroth

Annie Wengenroth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:40 AM

I'll look at ours at work, they're pretty small. I think some of the cases we have are not actually Pelican but a similar brand and they are smaller.

#4 Sam Wells

Sam Wells
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 July 2005 - 10:46 AM

I have a 1450, Rex4 & 3 primes fit right in there. Although not a lot else. Carryonable though. (Bolex is a 'travelling light' camera for me).

I'd get a color other than black. (CML tip, get bright orange or yellow and you can see baggage handlers drop them from a distance on an overcast day :o )

Black is not a plus for hot sun.

(I looked at Pelican's soft bags for use with this & other cameras, very nice but black only, too bad. I should write to them).

Anyway I like cheap looking bags than suggest nothing of value inside. A friend of mine carries his Hassleblads in a funky gym bag, it makes the statement "This bag contains sweaty shorts & T shirt"

-Sam

#5 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:44 AM

I agree with Sam about the color - it's much easier to spot a bright yellow or orange case as it's being spirited away. The 1500 Pelican should be ideal for your purposes considering you're packing primes. I have two of these and each *just* fits a reflex Bolex with a zoom mounted, so you should be fine. Remember that you can buy replacement foam and "repurpose" your case at any time (which is great, considering how durable the cases are).

I would like to recommend these folks - I've purchased several cases from them and their prices and service are great:

http://www.all-pelic...ses-4-less.com/

#6 Steven Budden

Steven Budden
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Other
  • San Francisco

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:22 AM

Thanks. I'll look for a 1450 at the website listed. I just want to carry a reflex with primes for now. I already have the gigantic metal bolex case for the SBM with zoom.

Also, does that pluck foam work well? I somehow imagine little cubes falling out all over the place over time.

The only thing about these flight cases is that they look like they contain a camera or a gun or some other "secret" item. I guess when I want to go incognito I could use a little leather bolex case or something.

Thanks all!

Steven

#7 Steven Budden

Steven Budden
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Other
  • San Francisco

Posted 12 July 2005 - 12:53 PM

Also,

is it pretty safe to travel with the c mounts mounted on the camera or better to have little compartments in the foam for each one?

Steven

#8 Annie Wengenroth

Annie Wengenroth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:14 PM

After looking more closely at our other cases, which are not Pelican, I would say that if you're gonna go with something flight-safe, get a Pelican...they are definitely sturdier. I would take the lenses off the camera when travelling and cap each lens port, and each end of the lens as well. BE CAREFUL- I somehow put a hairline crack in the rear of my 10mm lens flying back from Boston and I packed that thing up like it was worth a million bucks! Damn turbulence and bad luck I guess...

#9 Steven Budden

Steven Budden
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Other
  • San Francisco

Posted 13 July 2005 - 11:56 AM

Thanks!

I'm going to be flying but also hiking around a lot and filming in nature, so I guess I need something sturdy. I'll check out that small pelican.

Sorry about the lens. That sucks. I'm almost glad I have an SBM because It'll only have one prime on it at a time. I'd hate to somehow bump a turret camera and lose so much expensive glass! But I guess that'll also mean changing lenses more often which could also be riskier than just leaving them on. Since I have no idea what I'm doing yet, maybe I'll just find one favorite lens and use that most of the time.

Well, I suppose if you travel with the lenses on the camera they won't rattle around so much?

Also... I had a question on travelling with filmmaking in general... do you recommend shipping the exposed film to a lab or taking it home and then shipping it? How best to avoid the x rays and other risks? I'm going to hand process film later on too but I think I'll just start out having it lab developed so I can get the hang of the basics.

Thanks!

Steven

#10 Annie Wengenroth

Annie Wengenroth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 21 July 2005 - 01:25 AM

Didn't see this reply until a week later, I hope this answer is still valid...the only time I took film through the security checkpoint at the airport, it was well under 800 ASA and therefore was not a problem. If you don't feel comfortable carrying it through, tell security and they will help you. There was a good article somewhere online about travelling with film but I forget where, sorry I can't be more helpful.

#11 Steven Budden

Steven Budden
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Other
  • San Francisco

Posted 23 July 2005 - 04:38 PM

Didn't see this reply until a week later, I hope this answer is still valid...the only time I took film through the security checkpoint at the airport, it was well under 800 ASA and therefore was not a problem. If you don't feel comfortable carrying it through, tell security and they will help you. There was a good article somewhere online about travelling with film but I forget where, sorry I can't be more helpful.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read somewhere that the carry on x rays are pretty safe for film, but you don't want to check film because the xrays are much stronger?

Thanks that does help.

Steven

#12 Annie Wengenroth

Annie Wengenroth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:24 AM

Hm I don't know. I've done both and each time, the film has been fine. You can also get special metal containers to protect the film.

#13 Sam Wells

Sam Wells
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:13 PM

NO X-rays are good for film.

X-ray fogging is cumulative, and differential grain pattern of MP film revelas fogging in ways that stills do not.

"Special containers" just means they'll crank up the gain and if they still can't see what's in there they'll really want to take a close look.

-Sam

In theory it's best to carry lenses separate from the camera.

#14 Steven Budden

Steven Budden
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Other
  • San Francisco

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:55 PM

Here's something from fujifilm.com. Kind of goes with what we've been saying...

Question
What precautions can I take with x-ray scanners at airports?

Answer

Carry the film stock as hand luggage. Most, if not all of the newer hand luggage x-ray machines use weak x-ray radiation and it should not affect the film. But if you check your film in as luggage, the x-ray machine is stronger and would cause some fogging to the product.

Your best option would be to mail the film with a "DO NOT X-RAY" sticker rather than take it through the airport. If you have to take it throught the airport, avoid the x-ray by showing the cans to security and explaining.

Steven

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

CineLab

FJS International, LLC