15 replies to this topic

#1 Gillian

Gillian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 July 2005 - 03:24 PM

Quick question, does anyone know what the actual name of the Dutch movie that we got the term ?Dutch Angles? from?
Thanks!!!
Gillian

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 July 2005 - 03:31 PM

It wasn't a specific movie. The term may be a corruption of "Deutch" (German) since tilted angles have their origins in German Expressionism.

#3 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 11 July 2005 - 03:35 PM

I heard that because many of the buildings in Amsterdam tilt still photographers needed to angle the camera so the buildings would look strait. It became known as a ?Dutch Angle?.

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 July 2005 - 03:45 PM

I heard that because many of the buildings in Amsterdam tilt still photographers needed to angle the camera so the buildings would look strait.  It became known as a ?Dutch Angle?.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But if they looked straight, how would you know it was a tilted angle???

#5 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 July 2005 - 03:49 PM

I believe it actually wasn?t based on the image appearing tilted. The camera itself was ?Dutched? to create a none tilted image.

#6 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3060 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 July 2005 - 04:02 PM

In the UK, dutch angles are referred to (colloquially) as 'on the piss'. 'On the Piss' is a slang term for being drunk and therefore uneven, just like a Dutch Angle.

In recent years, with the over usage of dutch angles on MTV etc, the term 'on the piss' has come to be derogatory, implying a lack of imagination.

#7 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 11 July 2005 - 04:54 PM

Dutch angles is very, well, ...Battlefield Earth. In so many words: not a very good idea. You can add dutch angles to my list of "most hated camera tricks".

#8 Dominik Muench

Dominik Muench
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brisbane

Posted 11 July 2005 - 05:43 PM

bob: have you ever been in amsterdam ? the houses are so tilted you relly need to dutch titl your camera to fix this :)

my fav. dutch tilt shot is still form fear and loathign in las vegas, when jhonny depp is running along that hotel hallway.

#9 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3060 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 July 2005 - 06:39 PM

a lack of imagination.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

.Battlefield Earth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Strange how these fit together......

#10 Gillian

Gillian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 July 2005 - 06:46 PM

Thanks for all your informative and evocative answers! No one could remember if it was a single film that spawned the ?Dutch Angle? such as Hitchcock?s ?Vertigo Zoom? from the film Vertigo, or it like ?Film Noir? a name for a genre.
I tend to like the use of the Dutch angles, but then I like pretty much everything but the repeated use of the ?doc style? so there you have it, <grin> no accounting for taste! :)
Thanks again,
Gillian

#11 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 July 2005 - 07:01 PM

If you are looking for a single film that inspired the use of Dutch angles I would start my search with German expressionist films of the 1920?s. ?The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari? for example.

#12 Frank DiBugnara

Frank DiBugnara
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 07:17 PM

A great use of the technique is when the audience can't really identify the shot as being tilted, but yet experiences the psychological impact of a slight Dutch.

#13 Gillian

Gillian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 July 2005 - 08:02 PM

FrankDiBugnara wrote:
"A great use of the technique is when the audience can't really identify the shot as being tilted, but yet experiences the psychological impact of a slight Dutch".

Yes, I totally agree, something I?ve noticed with very subtle angles, vertigo zooms, and other ?effects? camera work. Film really is about emotion, isn?t it? Filmmakers are like the great painters of the past, but now were ?painting? with movement and sound as well as images. Can you name any films or television where you felt this effect was used particularly well?

bob1dp wrote:
"If you are looking for a single film that inspired the use of Dutch angles I would start my search with German expressionist films of the 1920?s. ?The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari? for example".

Thanks! I really am working on filling in my HUGE enormous gap in film knowledge, so any films that you really feel made an impact on style, or where a big technological advancement was made, anything that you can recommend, I?d certainly appreciate it!

Gillian

#14 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 July 2005 - 03:26 AM

Thanks! I really am working on filling in my HUGE enormous gap in film knowledge, so any films that you really feel made an impact on style, or where a big technological advancement was made, anything that you can recommend, I?d certainly appreciate it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Read "Film Style & Technology: History & Analysis" by Barry Salt. It covers technical and stylistic inventions for film production decade by decade.

#15 Mark Allen

Mark Allen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 July 2005 - 05:27 AM

I tend to use the word "canted," however, here was an interesting postulation provided for the etymology of "Dutch Tilt/Angle"

"I've been led to believe it comes from when coastal barges were commonly used in trade around and across the English channel. The Dutch barges had keels and the English ones didn't. When moored at low tide, the Dutch barges would lean over."
reference: http://www.phrases.o...essages/22.html

(For the curious a "cant" is a deviation from a horizontal or vertical plane.)

#16 fstop

fstop
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2005 - 06:09 AM

While by no means one of the first examples of the artform, the mainstream Hollywood proliferation of the dutch angle owes considerable debt to Howie Schwartz ASC's infamous work on the 1966 Batman TV show. It was from here onwards that it nolonger held the eerie, exotic connotations of Expressionism, and instead became something to cringe and smirk at as instant cliche parody.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Tai Audio