#1 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1367 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:27 PM

So I was shooting on an F900 for a year, it had it's age related problems, but the build quality and sensor is superb.

Just had my first shoot with this new URSA Mini Pro, the one thing that stands out as awesome to me is an extra 3-4 stops of DR from what I'm used to. Also capable of INTERNAL recording which makes life super easy.

However, I don't like the native gamma curve (I've been working it in Davinci, but still), moire everywhere, color science doesn't blow away a camera 18 years older, ugly FPN, and the body itself feels CHEAP.

I guess I'm asking, what do you value more? Dynamic range and internal recording? Or overall ergonomics free of miscellaneous visual blunders?

#2 Ryan Emanuel

Ryan Emanuel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:55 PM

It just really depends on how you shoot.  Dynamic range doesn't matter in all cases.  And if people are lighting for cinematic contrast they will kill half their dynamic range anyway.  It only matters when the story calls for pleasant rolloff in high latitude scenes. For most controlled scenes you wouldnt be able to tell a 13 stop camera from a 14 stop.  Plus since modern cinematography is pushing into the darks bit depth probably matters more for clarity than the stops of dr the sensor can handle.   Highlight retention is easy to handle on most cameras now especially if your already 1.5 under for key and have some nd gel.

#3 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Australia/Wherever The Wind Takes Me

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:52 AM

It really isn't just about total DR, but how well the medium in question handles its breaking points.

Look at Canon DSLRs for example. They've got thoroughly unimpressive DR, a good 3-4 stops down from what Nikon and Sony are doing. But they rolloff into their white clip point very gracefully. In the video world, the Sony F35 is a good example of the same thing, and in film, positive transparencies have similar characteristics.

And ultimately, the significance of a wide latitude is directly related to your ability to control the contrast range in your composition with lighting. The more control you have, the less significant the need for a wider latitude is.

#4 Bruce Greene

Bruce Greene
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:36 AM

And ultimately, the significance of a wide latitude is directly related to your ability to control the contrast range in your composition with lighting. The more control you have, the less significant the need for a wider latitude is.

I beg to differ here.  Adjusting the lighting to match a low DR capture is a significantly different look.  DR does matter, even with a truck load of lighting gear.

#5 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1367 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:47 AM

Well if anyone wants to buy an URSA Mini Pro, lemme know. I'd rather have a pile of money than this camera.

#6 Ryan Emanuel

Ryan Emanuel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:13 PM

Until you unload the camera

#7 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1367 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:49 PM

Grading it has proven to be very easy, it's just not worth the dollar value to me.

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment