Photo

Shooting digital contemplating HDR future tecnology?

hdr sonyf55

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Matias Nicolas

Matias Nicolas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Buenos Aires, Argentina

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:55 PM

Hi, I'll be shooting a tv serial, contemplating the HDR. That means, shooting digital as if it was a negative, thinking of future technology. As today you can buy an HDR tv, there is no content for HDR yet. So they are trying us, dp's, to start thinking in HDR when shooting digital..

Any expierence?

#2 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3364 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 July 2018 - 05:42 PM

HDR is created in post. It's virtually impossible to monitor HDR on set anyway. The advice I was given was that I should use a camera with as high a bit depth as possible, and make sure to protect my highlights, as blown out windows and other clipped whites are a problem in HDR.

#3 Matias Nicolas

Matias Nicolas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Buenos Aires, Argentina

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:04 PM

HDR is created in post. It's virtually impossible to monitor HDR on set anyway. The advice I was given was that I should use a camera with as high a bit depth as possible, and make sure to protect my highlights, as blown out windows and other clipped whites are a problem in HDR.

Ok, but what happens in the dark areas... should I bounce some or more light in the shadows? what happens with specularities? 

#4 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3364 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:24 PM

Ok, but what happens in the dark areas... should I bounce some or more light in the shadows? 

You don't really need to do anything for dark areas, unless there is important detail that you need to see.  A modern cinema camera in LOG mode is probably capturing around 14 stops of information, but most displays can only handle around 7 stops, so you are losing about 50% of your information. That's why the color-timing process is so important, because it allows you to manipulate the existing data so that you can shape the picture the way you want it. With an HDR display, much more of the data is visible without manipulation.

#5 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 12229 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 July 2018 - 05:14 AM

The thing to understand about HDR at the moment is that there are essentially no standards, or at least there are a dozen standards. Any client who needs HDR is likely to specify which standard they like, but if you don't have that information there's nothing you can do other than make sure you're exposing properly and, as Stuart says, protect highlights.

P

#6 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2276 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 08 July 2018 - 05:47 PM

1 hour long lecture on the subject over at the BSC Vimeo page..  tried putting in link but didn't work.. but easy to find.. very interesting 

Edited by Robin R Probyn, 08 July 2018 - 05:48 PM.

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc