Photo

Are there only certain things you put on a cinematography resume?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gerald King

Gerald King
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:30 AM

Hello, not sure if it's okay if you want people to view you as a professional cinematographer if it's okay to keep other roles you were as in films such as production assistant, etc. or just keep that on private? What do you guys usually show? Especially on your website? I have mostly cinematography/camera operator/camera assistant stuff and some production assistant roles.

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7445 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:14 PM

you tailor your resume for the job you want, not necessarily the job you have. I wouldn't list ANY PA stuff on my cinematography resume (not that I've actually done any PA work since my teens) just like I don't like the occasional times I go out as a gaffer for other DoPs/friends when they ask.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 20160 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:17 PM

A resume should really just show your experience relative to the job you are applying for, but if it is really light on cinematography credits, you might not have any choice but to include (at the bottom) other similar experience but in different job categories just to show that you've been around.

I would limit it to camera-related experience though, there's no need to list PA work.

#4 Gerald King

Gerald King
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:22 PM

you tailor your resume for the job you want, not necessarily the job you have. I wouldn't list ANY PA stuff on my cinematography resume (not that I've actually done any PA work since my teens) just like I don't like the occasional times I go out as a gaffer for other DoPs/friends when they ask.

Oh okay, thank you for the info.

A resume should really just show your experience relative to the job you are applying for, but if it is really light on cinematography credits, you might not have any choice but to include (at the bottom) other similar experience but in different job categories just to show that you've been around.

I would limit it to camera-related experience though, there's no need to list PA work.

Ah, okay, thank you for the information David, I understand. 

Edited by Gerald King, 27 July 2018 - 12:23 PM.

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera