Kavish Agrawal
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Mumbai

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:13 PM

Hi guys,

My first post on the forum, looking forward for some amazing interaction with fellow cinematographers and the experienced.

Recently watched the film 'The Judge' DP'd by the great Janus Kaminski. Big fan of his work on Saving Private Ryan, Catch Me If you can, The Terminal.

However, i found the film a tad bit lit at some places. And then while researching i came across this article:

https://www.indiewire.com/2014/10/the-judge-dp-janusz-kaminski-finds-beauty-in-a-bygone-america-190666/ 

where he mentions that he was looking for  "I wanted to make an old-style movie where you feel the light. I wanted to use the void of light or having the sun streaming through windows and telling the audience: pay attention because something important is going to happen.”

Wanted to know what you guys thought about the lighting and cinematography of the film. I am a naturalist(like most you are am sure), so it'd be interesting to know your thoughts on this. 

Attached Images

• mpv-shot0029.jpg
  • mpv-shot0030.jpg
  • mpv-shot0034.jpg

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 20309 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:35 PM

I like it when someone goes against current convention. Weve got plenty of naturalistic-looking movies out there, surely there is room for other styles?

#3 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4295 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:27 PM

Janusz has been doing this trick forever and it's been so over-done in his movies with Spielberg. Hit the windows with something big, use a very basic key and be done with it. This trick allows him to shoot very fast and it doesn't look bad at all. I think it's better then trying to let the windows go natural, which is nearly impossible anyway. 

#4 KH Martin

KH Martin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Other
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:48 PM

It may be heresy in these parts, but I genuinely hate this look for the windows. LOST WORLD has something like this early on and it just seemed headache inducing. Then again, I also despise how pretty much all of MINORITY REPORT looks too. I think MUNICH looked okay though.

#5 Kavish Agrawal

Kavish Agrawal
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Mumbai

Posted 01 August 2018 - 02:28 AM

I like it when someone goes against current convention. Weve got plenty of naturalistic-looking movies out there, surely there is room for other styles?

Hahaha! Agreed!!

#6 Kavish Agrawal

Kavish Agrawal
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Mumbai

Posted 01 August 2018 - 02:30 AM

Janusz has been doing this trick forever and it's been so over-done in his movies with Spielberg. Hit the windows with something big, use a very basic key and be done with it. This trick allows him to shoot very fast and it doesn't look bad at all. I think it's better then trying to let the windows go natural, which is nearly impossible anyway. 

Thats true, it does quicken the process, i guess its about tastes then..plus like he mentioned he wanted the audience to feel the light, now thats something atleast i have not heard of, something interesting!!

#7 Kavish Agrawal

Kavish Agrawal
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Mumbai

Posted 01 August 2018 - 02:39 AM

It may be heresy in these parts, but I genuinely hate this look for the windows. LOST WORLD has something like this early on and it just seemed headache inducing. Then again, I also despise how pretty much all of MINORITY REPORT looks too. I think MUNICH looked okay though.

Have to watch those two, but i liked The Terminal. 'Catch me If you can' also has certain elements like these but not as much as in 'The Judge'. When I saw the film, I was cringing at those parts where I could feel the light..something new for me considering it was a deliberate move.

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC