Photo

controlling massive green spill - ideas?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Marco S King

Marco S King

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Cape Town

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:20 AM

Hey everyone 

I have an upcoming commercial where we will be shooting inside a beautiful home looking out onto a garden... a very, very green garden. In the afternoon with direct sun the green bounce off the lawn turns the entire house into a green monster. 

Some of my shots feature the garden through windows. Some of them are on that patio (pictures below). 

How would you go about controlling the spill without completely blocking out the lawn? 

An auto white balance is the obvious first choice, However I am afraid that doing so will sap the greens out of the exterior scene. Would it be significant enough to do so?  

Must my key source be punchy enough to negate the spill?

I really want to hear how people go about controlling spill on this scale

house 1.jpg house 3.jpg house2.jpg

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 20254 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 August 2018 - 01:15 PM

Some white bounce fill would help for the wider shots and once most of the lawn is out of the shot, I'd cover it with something like unbleached muslin or a white scrim if you can find that (depends on whether people have to walk on it.) It's really only the near lawn that is bouncing green up under the roof, I wouldn't worry about the distant lawn.

#3 Reggie A Brown

Reggie A Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Missouri

Posted 03 August 2018 - 01:44 PM

Great idea David! I've struggled with green cast from grass hitting talents skin and it's always driven me crazy. I'll definitely be using your tip for future shoots.

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 20254 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 August 2018 - 02:55 PM

There are also grey (light and dark) or white rubber mats that can be laid down if a lot of walking has to be done on them.

#5 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 05 August 2018 - 02:21 PM

I worked on Pan Am where one night interior scene got reshuffled and became a day scene. A large 30 x 70 green screen hanging outside a window for a long steadicam shot became a green bounce from the sun. The solution was to get rid of the small tungsten and bring in large HMI’s like 6k’s.

#6 Jonathon Sendall

Jonathon Sendall

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 10:13 PM

There's a lot of theatre scrim that would help you. Sometimes they call it sharks tooth and you can get white and black or muslin off white. Cheaper by the roll to. You could probably sell it off afterwards.

#7 Giacomo Girolamo

Giacomo Girolamo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Venezia

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:44 PM

Just don't film when the sun is so high, wait to the sun is cover by the house or when is down and the spill don't "tint" so much.

#8 Marco S King

Marco S King

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Cape Town

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:13 AM

Some white bounce fill would help for the wider shots and once most of the lawn is out of the shot, I'd cover it with something like unbleached muslin or a white scrim if you can find that (depends on whether people have to walk on it.) It's really only the near lawn that is bouncing green up under the roof, I wouldn't worry about the distant lawn.

Yes, great! I was considering the white/black cloth over the sections of lawn we won't be seeing in shot. Then punching as much of a clean source of light onto the subjects for mid-tight shots. 

I Have the Skypanel s360 at my disposal, which can be dialed to match closer to my ambience, rather than fighting it. Then dial out that green in white balance in camera to match even closer (Shooting 4444 so I need to get that white balance looking good)

Does this sound like a terrible idea? 

I worked on Pan Am where one night interior scene got reshuffled and became a day scene. A large 30 x 70 green screen hanging outside a window for a long steadicam shot became a green bounce from the sun. The solution was to get rid of the small tungsten and bring in large HMI’s like 6k’s.

Good suggestion. Enough 6k's would essentially cancel out that spill, but, we need to work fast and light with a minimal lighting crew. 

Just don't film when the sun is so high, wait to the sun is cover by the house or when is down and the spill don't "tint" so much.

I wish I had control of our schedule ;) 

Thanks for the suggestions thus far guys. Always appreciative

#9 Marco S King

Marco S King

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Cape Town

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:45 AM

There's a lot of theatre scrim that would help you. Sometimes they call it sharks tooth and you can get white and black or muslin off white. Cheaper by the roll to. You could probably sell it off afterwards.

I probably wouldn't use sharks tooth due to the haziness it give off but some double net could cut down the spill whilst still seeing outside (and gain a stop) then shoot clean light into the scene with a big source of Bounce through diffusion or HMI. I will also cover the lawn with white material where not in shot. 

I think this will be my plan. 

#10 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 20254 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:27 AM

I wasn’t talking about looking at or through the scrim, just laying it on the off-camera lawn to reduce the green bounce.

#11 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2801 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:03 PM

That is a bit more practical than doing an Antonioni and whitewashing the grass, I suppose.

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

CineTape

Technodolly