#1 Edward

Edward
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Producer
  • San Francisco/ London

Posted 15 July 2005 - 11:20 AM

I have recently been using a Sony HVR-Z1E camera and I have been getting multiple breaks in the time code on most tapes. I'm filming in PAL DVCAM mode and I have not taken the tapes out of the camera. If I look at the rushes I have done an end search afterwards. There seem to be two different time code settings, 'preset' and 'regenerate' - I have to use 'preset' to set the initial time code - should I then be switching to 'regenerate' to prevent time code breaks? If so this seems a bit fiddly.

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:50 PM

Hi,

If you are rolling up and down to look at what you've shot it's easily possible to imagine you're missing the end of the last take, which would give you a problem either way, but yes, you should be in regen for the shoot.

Phil

#3 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:58 PM

I have recently been using a Sony HVR-Z1E camera and I have been getting multiple breaks in the time code on most tapes. I'm filming in PAL DVCAM mode and I have not taken the tapes out of the camera. If I look at the rushes I have done an end search afterwards. There seem to be two different time code settings, 'preset' and 'regenerate' - I have to use 'preset' to set the initial time code - should I then be switching to 'regenerate' to prevent time code breaks? If so this seems a bit fiddly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

As Phil says 'regenerate' but until you are sure you've cracked it, record at least 5 seconds before important action! Your editor will thank you.

Stephen

#4 Peter J DeCrescenzo

Peter J DeCrescenzo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 620 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR, USA www.peterdv.com Blog: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/

Posted 15 July 2005 - 01:21 PM

Hi, As Phil says 'regenerate' but until you are sure you've cracked it, record at least 5 seconds before important action! Your editor will thank you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Record at least 5 seconds before _and_ after each take -- especially after, so you have something to "cut into" when manually cue-ing the tape following playback from the camcorder.

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

#5 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 15 July 2005 - 02:00 PM

With the PD 150 I set time code in pre-set then after rolling I switch to regen to avoid time code breaks. In the regen mode you loose a couple of frames every time you cut. So be sure you have good tails on your takes.

#6 Edward

Edward
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Producer
  • San Francisco/ London

Posted 16 July 2005 - 04:21 AM

I have been recording 5 second handles before and after when possible - however as I am doing documentary work I sometimes don't have time to do this as something interesting will just happen with no warning. If I roll the tape to review what I have filmied I always do an end search and this doesn't seem to cause any problem. However my editor is still telling me off because there are so many time code breaks, and I have never had this probelm before with a PD-170. Maybe there is a problem with my camera?

#7 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 16 July 2005 - 06:36 AM

I have been recording 5 second handles before and after when possible - however as I am doing documentary work I sometimes don't have time to do this as something interesting will just happen with no warning. If I roll the tape to review what I have filmied I always do an end search and this doesn't seem to cause any problem. However my editor is still telling me off because there are so many time code breaks, and I have never had this probelm before with a PD-170. Maybe there is a problem with my camera?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,
There is a particular procedure you need to follow to regain continuous time code after you've rewound or popped the tape out and put it back in. It should be covered in your owners manual
and it surely involves more than just keeping the TC set to "regenerate". Check for a button that says,"return".

I can tell you how to do it on a broadcast camera but that will likely not help you. So read your owners manual. You DO NOT want editors talking smack about you to the producers. Time code breaks, as you are finding out, drive editors nuts.

#8 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 July 2005 - 08:15 AM

Hi,

...although god knows why they should, with HDV, as unless they're doing the usual insane broadcaster thing of shooting a cheap format and dubbing it up for the cut then it'll always be online, and who cares about timecode!

Phil

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

CineTape