#1 Jonathan Bryant

Jonathan Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, GA

Posted 16 July 2005 - 12:03 AM

I have just got a K3 that seems to have a very soft image in the viewfinder. I have adjusted the VF correctly and cleaned the the mirror with alcohol. This improved it some but it is still very difficult to judge focus. Is this normal?

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 16 July 2005 - 04:47 AM

I have just got a K3 that seems to have a very soft image in the viewfinder. I have adjusted the VF correctly and cleaned the the mirror with alcohol. This improved it some but it is still very difficult to judge focus. Is this normal?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

The viewfinder of a K3 is not that good but you should be able jo judge focus. A simple test, try using your other eye and see if its better! Thats not a joke by the way- I normally use my right eye, however when shooting with an anomophic eyepiece de-squeezer I need to use my left eye!

Stephen Williams DP

www.stephenw.com

#3 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 16 July 2005 - 04:48 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

The viewfinder of a K3 is not that good but you should be able jo judge focus. A simple test, try using your other eye and see if its better! Thats not a joke by the way- I normally use my right eye, however when shooting with an anomophic eyepiece de-squeezer I need to use my left eye!

Stephen Williams DP

www.stephenw.com

#4 T. Arthur DeSmidt

T. Arthur DeSmidt
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2005 - 03:04 PM

The k-3 I own has a great viewfinder. If you haven't already, go outside in the bright sun, focus the lens at infinity, then point at an object far enough away. The object should be in perfect focus, if it isn't, then you could have a bad lens or a misaligned focus screen assembly.

#5 Mike Welle

Mike Welle
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 09:58 AM

I've had experiences with K-3s whose ground glass was damaged through improper cleaning. The result was an overall difficulty with focusing the viewfinder resulting in a cloudy image. The best thing to do, if it's a problem for you, is to pick up another one on Ebay. They aren't that expensive in my opinion. Sometimes in order to make an omelet you have to break a few eggs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edited by Mike Welle, 17 July 2005 - 09:59 AM.

#6 Les Productions Deux Yeux

Les Productions Deux Yeux
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2005 - 01:26 PM

i bought a k-3 on ebay and had the same problem with viewfinder you just have to dissassemble the front and you will find a square piec of glass just over the rotating mirro just dissamble it and clean it you will have better result. for me it solve the problem.

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Visual Products