2 replies to this topic

#1 Frank Barrera

Frank Barrera
  • Sustaining Members
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 16 July 2005 - 05:45 AM

I am not currently in the position to conduct a side by side test so this is a question for anyone who has done this or if you haven't how about a discussion on the theory concerning the specs of such a test.

Shooting the Varicam and the SDX900 properly matched with the same lens side by side with controlled lighting (ie: no clipped highlights) and then viewing the HD via an SD down conversion. Would anyone be able to tell the difference between the two?

Thanks
Frank Barrera

#2 Christopher Bell

Christopher Bell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 75 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 16 July 2005 - 09:09 PM

You will see a difference. Think source first. Just like shooting film, the Varicam's higer pixel count, even when downconverted, will provide a superior image. I have owned both cameras and I think the SDX is a great camera. The Varicam, however, is more "filmic", much less video looking. The Varicam is also able to record a much wider range of contrast, and can hold highlights far better than the SDX. The $40,000 price difference does provide a better image.

Many of my clients shoot Varicam, then downconvert via firewire to DV or DV50. The result is exceptional. (It's like the old days of shooting 16mm, and NTSC telecine, sigh.)

Chris Bell
Varicam owner/op

#3 Brett B

Brett B
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:22 PM

I agree with what was said above but would just like to stress one thing, that would be to put the best possible lens in front of either camera you deciede to use. The lens affects every part of the image and can either make or break the finished product. Best of luck.

Willys Widgets

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Opal

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine