FYI: DSR-450WSL package from OpTex UK

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Peter J DeCrescenzo

Peter J DeCrescenzo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 620 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR, USA www.peterdv.com Blog: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/

Posted 19 July 2005 - 12:53 PM

Just an FYI: I saw this mentioned in the DV.com forums. Seems like a good price on a DSR-450WSL DVCAM camcorder package:
http://www.dvwarehou...50PBKIT&cat=216

My DSR-450WSL package is scheduled to arrive in a few days from Armatos Video in NYC. Different configuration than above, but the OpTex/DVWarehouse price seems very good.

For future reference, does OpTex/DVWarehouse have a good reputation?

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

Edited by Peter DeCrescenzo, 19 July 2005 - 12:54 PM.

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:10 AM

Just an FYI: I saw this mentioned in the DV.com forums. Seems like a good price on a DSR-450WSL DVCAM camcorder package:

My DSR-450WSL package is scheduled to arrive in a few days from Armatos Video in NYC. Different configuration than above, but the OpTex/DVWarehouse price seems very good.

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

I've known Op Tex in New Barnet for 20 years. Very solid reputation.

Cheers

Stephen Williams DP
Zurich (Lived in london for 31 years)

www.stephenw.com

#3 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 20 July 2005 - 07:47 AM

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, that IS a good price. Sony lists them at $18K just for the camera. No viewfinder, lens batteries, charger, case, etc. I've shot with the DSR570WS quite a bit and it's nice. The 450 (Sony's replacement for the 570) adds 24p (but not 24pA!) and 30p, which make it much more attractive.

Should Peter one day see HIS camera, we can get a report to see how it stacks up.. :blink:

Let's see...at B&H:

DSR-450WSL $14,999.95
Fuji A20x8.6 $ 6,299.95
Anton Bauer $ 1,000.00 +
Kata CCC-1 $ 282.95

Buying that package at B&H would run $22,580, So after conversion to $$, the Optex price is
$18,977.50 which includes the VAT. Nearly $4K cheaper. 'course it's a PAL version, but I wonder if you could use that price as a basis for dealing with Abel Cine? B&H never seems to want to talk deals.....

The Brits are always talking about how everything is way more expensive in the UK! Here's your chance, boys...

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:36 AM

Dribble, salivate...

#5 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:50 AM

Dribble, salivate...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Phil,

What would that rent for realisticlly in London? I don't mean listed daily rate.

Cheers

Stephen

#6 Peter J DeCrescenzo

Peter J DeCrescenzo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 620 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR, USA www.peterdv.com Blog: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/

Posted 20 July 2005 - 12:44 PM

Wow, that IS a good price. Sony lists them at $18K just for the camera. No viewfinder, lens batteries, charger, case, etc. I've shot with the DSR570WS quite a bit and it's nice. The 450 (Sony's replacement for the 570) adds 24p (but not 24pA!) and 30p, which make it much more attractive. ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Note that the NTSC version of the DSR-450WSL can record in both 24p and 24pA modes. Early versions of the product literature indicated otherwise, but the current brochure and User Manual say it can do both. I can't confirm until I have mine in-hand in a few days (it was shipped yesterday from NYC to me), but the manual states this several times, so it doesn't seem likely to be a typo. Here's hoping.

I'm not sure if there's generally such a thing as "25pA" mode in PAL? In any event, the user manual specifically mentions "Pulldown method in 24P mode (DSR-450WSL [NTSC model] only ... 2-3 pulldown ... 2-3-3-2 pulldown".

Would a "25pA" mode be a moot point, or would such a thing actually be useful in the PAL world?

On an unhappy note, just one paragraph down from the above statements, the manual says the SDI option card (which I've bought) can output 2-3 pulldown, but can _not_ output 2-3-3-2 pulldown. I'd hoped it could do both. My main use for the SDI output will be to occasionally record "live" video to higher-end formats (better than DVCAM), so the slight potential quality loss of 2-3 pulldown compared to 2-3-3-2 pulldown would be somewhat offset by that. And in the case of caputuring to an "uncompressed" external system, I don't believe there would be any quality penalty (2-3 pulldown vs. 2-3-3-2 pulldown). After I get my cam and do some tests I'll have a better idea of what's what.

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

#7 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 July 2005 - 04:27 PM

Hi,

> Would a "25pA" mode be a moot point

Yes. 25 frames a second is 25 frames a second, it's just that both fields happen to have been captured at the same instant.

As for your SDI issue, it should be possible to convert after capture if you capture the whole higher-end tape at once and thereby only have to figure out the 3:2 pulldown cadence once.

Phil

#8 Peter J DeCrescenzo

Peter J DeCrescenzo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 620 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:34 PM

Hi Phil: Do you hear that giant sucking sound? That's the sound of Sony UK trying to get money out of your pocket! (See below) :D

Simon W. just posted this link on DV.com ... an even better deal at Preston Media UK, plus "no payments for 12 months":
http://www.videokit....IPMENT&pid=1162

(Although he's less enthusiastic about this dealer.)

I wonder if the DSR-450WSL is cheaper in the UK because British spies have discovered Sony will soon ship a dual format HDV / DVCAM version of this cam, so they're moving out the existing stock as soon as possible (yes I'm making this up) ... :unsure:

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

#9 Simon Wyndham

Simon Wyndham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • UK

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:26 AM

Hi Phil: Do you hear that giant sucking sound? That's the sound of Sony UK trying to get money out of your pocket! (See below)  :D

Simon W. just posted this link on DV.com ... an even better deal at Preston Media UK, plus "no payments for 12 months":
http://www.videokit....IPMENT&pid=1162

(Although he's less enthusiastic about this dealer.)

I wonder if the DSR-450WSL is cheaper in the UK because British spies have discovered Sony will soon ship a dual format HDV / DVCAM version of this cam, so they're moving out the existing stock as soon as possible (yes I'm making this up) ...  :unsure:

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hehe, well, who knows. Mind you Sony have run a few kit deals with cameras in recent months.

H Prestons is such a weird place, with Basil Fawlty as their main salesman. The really odd thing about that shop is that it is actually a very small television and video shop that also sells broadcast cameras for some reason. its also in the most unlikely of places. Malvern is more a place in the countryside for walkers to walk on the Malvern Hills, as well as being famous for Elgar rather than somewhere to buy broadcast equipment from. I do wonder who buys from them sometimes!

I have on occasion heard people swear by them. But my own experience of them is less than stellar. It was as if I had asked the salesman to cut off his arm when I asked for a firewire cable!

#10 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 July 2005 - 03:33 PM

Hi,

I am safe from Sony's vile clutches; I have a personal "no more cameras ever" policy. Not that I'm unhappy, business-wise, with the one I have, but owning camera equipment inevitably puts you on the "but the next one up's only a bit more expensive" ladder until the point where you're buying a controlling share in Panavision.

Phil

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

The Slider