DSR-450 potential audio issue

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Peter J DeCrescenzo

Peter J DeCrescenzo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 620 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR, USA www.peterdv.com Blog: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:50 PM

Just a heads-up: Apparently some of the very first units of Sony's new DSR-450WSL DVCAM camcorder have an audio issue which Sony has already begun to address. My understanding is that if Sony's optional "CAWR855 case/holder for WRR-855 Wireless Receiver" is used with the camcorder, a noise (hiss) can be introduced into the recorded audio. This hiss is apparently not present if the XLR inputs are used instead.

Apparently a "fix" for affected units is relativley easy to perform, but for warranty reasons I'd recommend it be repaired either by a Sony factory repair depot or other authorized Sony broadcast repair facility. For example, this repair was done on my camcorder yesterday at the reseller's shop (Armatos Video in NYC) before the cam was shipped out to me.

I don't know if this issue affects only the DSR-450WSL model or also the similar DSR-400 and somewhat similar -510 & -530 optical XDCAM models. I also don't know if Sony has made an official announcement concerning this issue this, or if there's a known serial number range of affect units, and so forth.

I'd recommend contacting your authorized Sony reseller or Sony directly if you have questions concerning this issue.

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Opal

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC