#1 John Adolfi

John Adolfi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Producer
  • Fulton, N.Y.

Posted 20 July 2005 - 06:54 PM

I decided to buy the new Sony 1 chip HDV camera. Which means its pretty light. I need a good tripod for it. I currently have a Bogen which is the 3140. Its good but not top shelf. I was told to buy a heavy tripod. what is the next step up in the professional world of video production? Price range? Type of head? Brands? Thank you!

Edited by John Adolfi, 20 July 2005 - 06:55 PM.

#2 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 20 July 2005 - 08:03 PM

I decided to buy the new Sony 1 chip HDV camera.  Which means its pretty light.  I need a good tripod for it.  I currently have a Bogen which is the 3140.  Its good but not top shelf.  I was told to buy a heavy tripod. what is the next step up in the professional world of video production?  Price range?  Type of head? Brands?  Thank you!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who told you to buy a heavy tripod? If you are happy with the tripod you bought, use it. If you're not doing alot of panning when you shoot, it should work fine for you. It's up to you to decide when it no longer suits your needs and why. At that point you'll know more about what you don't like about it and then you can look for something beefier.

I am partial to Vinten tripods/heads myself and they have entry level models in the $1000 range with a decent head for lightweight DV cameras and the prices rocket upward from there.

Be careful, getting caught up in hype can end up costing you alot of $$. The one you've bought will be your introduction into why some things cost more than other things, but find out for yourself. You may end up loving it and who cares what anyone else thinks?

#3 drew_town

drew_town
  • Sustaining Members
  • 383 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Southeast US

Posted 20 July 2005 - 08:56 PM

I find that if you often shoot telephoto a heavier tripod will be easier to get smooth pans and tilts. I have a Bogen 510 head on 3193 sticks. It does what I need it to, and I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon.

Vinten, Cartoni, Miller, Sachtler, and O'Connor are all really good tripods. Gitzo and Bogen/Manfrotto are pretty good especially considering the price differences.

Think about what you'll be shooting because certain tripods are better in certain environments and shooting certain things. All in all, a good tripod should be versatile.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

The Slider

Tai Audio

Opal

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape