#1 Jonathan Bryant

Jonathan Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, GA

Posted 21 July 2005 - 01:49 AM

As a independent producer what is the best way to approach or market yourself to businesses? How many people have experience with the business end of landing jobs? I have a script writer,a graphic designer,actors, 16mm film equipment, and etc.. I would like to avoid small jobs if I can and produce a high end product. I have worked for production houses and a CBS affiliate but now that work is slow I wondering how I can land moderate paying jobs by myself. Thanks for any advice

Edited by johnhollywood, 21 July 2005 - 01:49 AM.

#2 oscar jimenez

oscar jimenez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • PANAMA, REPUBLIC OF PANAMA

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:08 PM

Have you tried to edit a good demo reel and approaching advertising agencies?
I shoot only Advertising, that is the way it works around here, demo reel and good relations and service to your client.

#3 Jonathan Bryant

Jonathan Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, GA

Posted 23 July 2005 - 10:35 PM

Have you tried to edit a good demo reel and approaching advertising agencies?
I shoot only Advertising, that is the way it works around here, demo reel and good relations and service to your client.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ya that is something I need to work on. I have some work I did at a CBS affiliate but its not at the level I want to be known for. I guess I need to make a few spec spots.

What size market are you in? It seems in this market that the agencies eat sleep and breathe print media. They tell their clients that print media is the best value and most effective marketing tool for small businesses. And I realize that most of the businesses don't have a fortune to spend on marketing. Does your ad agency value TV spots and do they come up with scripts and story boards. A guy I work for in SC says that he has had alot of experience with ad agencys and its bad. They got him to find a script writer , he had to of course film the spots, he had to hire a voiceover artist, and graphic designer. He said the agencys just come to the shoot and fuss at you if you take over two hours, then take half the profits. I will admit my experience with agencies is very limited and that in a perfect situation I would like to have a agency find willing clients, do some of the script writing, and let me take care of the rest.

#4 oscar jimenez

oscar jimenez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • PANAMA, REPUBLIC OF PANAMA

Posted 25 July 2005 - 10:00 AM

Here's to your questions:
I dont work in an Advertising Agencies, my clients are the "Advertising Agencies".
In the road, you may find all kinds of clients, mine, are mostly producers and creative staff from the agencies. There will be some clients that will surely give you constant jobs with no ultra big budgets, but you have to value the fact that all months there's an invoice charged and paid in your favor. Ther are other ones that will work with you less times, but projects may be major "healthy budgets". i do even have some clients, that they hand me sort of a "vague description script or story line" and my job as a Director, is to re write the story in paper, show it to them, edit what we call an "animatic" that's putting the story togheter using stock shots from internet or past jobs, and then comes the "visual style" references, I like to work that with stills, so I can show my client contrast and color values that final job is going to have. When a Buget looks tight, always show posibilities nor limitatiions, people that called you for a job, are expecting to feel comfortable and secure, And I dont do printed media. Good luck

#5 Jonathan Bryant

Jonathan Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, GA

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for your input

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery