16mm to HD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 deadelephants

deadelephants
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:18 AM

Has anyone tried to use the Electronic Clear Scan feature to shoot 16mm of a 24fps projector?

Any input would be extremely helpful.

Also, does anyone know about frame by frame animation with the HD FX1 or the Sony HD 750? Are there such things as HD optical benches?

Thanks,

Lili

#2 Elhanan Matos

Elhanan Matos
  • Sustaining Members
  • 432 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • Santa Monica, CA

Posted 21 July 2005 - 03:14 PM

You can do single frame recording with the F900, it's a hidden feature in the camera that is easily accessible.

#3 Jaan Shenberger

Jaan Shenberger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Director
  • San Francisco

Posted 21 July 2005 - 10:20 PM

there are special 5-bladed shuttered projectors (made by eiki, i believe) that are designed for self-transferring 16mm to 60i video. we had such a projector in school and i did this a lot with miniDV. though you can't do a 3;2 inverse telecine in post, because the shared frames are kinda merged, and not seperated into fields. also, there will almost always be a hot spot. i have no idea how these projectors would work with 24p.

hope this helps,

#4 deadelephants

deadelephants
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2005 - 12:45 PM

there are special 5-bladed shuttered projectors (made by eiki, i believe) that are designed for self-transferring 16mm to 60i video. we had such a projector in school and i did this a lot with miniDV. though you can't do a 3;2 inverse telecine in post, because the shared frames are kinda merged, and not seperated into fields. also, there will almost always be a hot spot. i have no idea how these projectors would work with 24p.

hope this helps,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the projector advice. I've known about this, but we don't have the budget to get a 5 blade projector (I'm using my kodak pageant) and neither do we have a HD 900, we only have the HD 750 and a basic 24/18fps projector to do the transfer, and I was hoping with the extended clear scan, which can control frequency input (30 - 4700 Hz) and possibly the EVS (Enhance vertical definition system) which is a fixed 1/60 shutter speed. When I've used my Standard Def TRV 900, I shot an image from a pojector at 1/30 a sec with very slight flicker....but I didn't have the frequency control... has anyone tried using the 750 ECS and would you use 1/30 shutter speed?

thanks
lili

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:41 PM

What is the point to all of this? Are you shooting a scene in HD where someone is watching a 16mm movie being projected? Or are you trying to come up with some sort of cheap telecine device?

#6 Eugene Lehnert

Eugene Lehnert
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Other
  • New York, NY

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:00 PM

You can use a still digital camera attached to your computer to do some kind of animation. Cheap digital cameras can take a picture with enough pixels to fill the HD space. You can use a program called remote capture to control the camera and save the files directly to the hard drive. Then you can bring the files into After Effects as a sequence and the software will treat the inidividual group of still images as on big video file.

I also saw this on the JK Camera website...

http://www.jkcamera....tal_printer.htm

#7 Charles Haine

Charles Haine
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Colorist
  • New York

Posted 26 July 2005 - 11:05 PM

I TAed a cinematography class at USC where we occaisionally would shoot the dailies from a 16mm projection with a DVX-100 in 24p mode, which worked out surprisingly well.

We used an Elmo, which I don't think is 5-bladed.

Of course, we only did this so the students could roughly cut together the footage to see if their coverage was adequate, we weren't working for a high-quality video image.

Still, it worked.

chuck haine

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Opal

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly