My Super 8 short available online

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Christopher Heston

Christopher Heston
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2005 - 05:29 PM

Hi, my name is Chris Heston and I am a student at the University of California at Santa Cruz. I recently took a film and video class and I shot a short comedy about a man who recieves a remote control that is more than he can handle.

The short was shot on Kodachrome 40 and shot with a Canon 814xls and Canon 310xl. The extreme close ups were with the 310xl and the rest with the 814xls.

http://slugfilm.ucsc...eo.php?film=197

hope you enjoy!

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:42 PM

I heard this annoying click throughout the piece, was that intentional?

Your Canon 814XLS focuses down to 2.4 feet in the telephoto mode, any reason why you did the close-up shots with the 310 instead?

The opening voiceover was on my mind as the movie progressed. I was wondering when the remote was going to morph into more than a remote, yet the movie was almost over before the remote did change. I never considered that knowing a movie's length (which the internet telegraphs through the timeline graph), and how far along the time line the movie actually is affects the way I view something, but it most definitely did.

I began to use the timeline as some kind of a stop watch as I wondered what you had up your sleeze. I mean the movie was almost over and the remote was still a remote! The ending was effective. I would have liked to have seen the final shot of the film be of the cat with the remote, and perhaps a cat food bowl next to the cat where the girl used to be.

I could tell many of your shots had a clean, grainless Kodachrome look to them. It's difficult to get the background to show much detail wthout additional lighting because of Kodachrome's low ASA and contrastyness. However, for the actor trying to show off their talents while minimizing the background, Kodachrome is a great stock to use!

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 July 2005 - 06:58 PM

I thought the Kodachrome looked great. Unfortunately the lighting was rather crude, probably because you weren't used to dealing with the bright lights needed for the slow speed of the stock. But it was very sharp.

#4 Christopher Heston

Christopher Heston
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2005 - 01:16 AM

I thought the Kodachrome looked great.  Unfortunately the lighting was rather crude, probably because you weren't used to dealing with the bright lights needed for the slow speed of the stock.  But it was very sharp.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I had a bit of trouble with lighting. But I was mostly pleased with the way I lit the sandwich making stuff. I used halogen and flourecents from home depot. As for the guy watching T.V I used 2 650 watt arri lights.

Glad you liked the quality though. Walmart processing! 4.99 a roll The rank cintel however was done at Spectra Film and Video. That was a heafty price.

#5 Mike Crane

Mike Crane
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:58 PM

Yeah, I had a bit of trouble with lighting.  But I was mostly pleased with the way I lit the sandwich making stuff.  I used halogen and flourecents from home depot.  As for the guy watching T.V I used 2 650 watt arri lights.
Glad you liked the quality though.  Walmart processing! 4.99 a roll  The rank cintel however was done at Spectra Film and Video.  That was a heafty price.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Chris,

The transfer looks quite good. Much sharper than my K-40 shot with a Canon 814 done at other places (on the Rank). I am looking for a new place to get my work done (similar project size), but want to keep the price down. How expensive was the transfer for your entire film project (excluding additional fees like tape, etc...)?

#6 Christopher Heston

Christopher Heston
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:04 AM

Hi Chris,

The transfer looks quite good.  Much sharper than my K-40 shot with a Canon 814 done at other places (on the Rank).  I am looking for a new place to get my work done (similar project size), but want to keep the price down.  How expensive was the transfer for your entire film project (excluding additional fees like tape, etc...)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The price came out at around 150. They gave me a first time discount and I gave them about 30 minutes of footage. It's hard to believe that I wasted so much film. I went a bit super 8 crazy.

-Chris

#7 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:04 AM

I heard this annoying click throughout the piece, was that intentional?

Your Canon 814XLS focuses down to 2.4 feet in the telephoto mode, any reason why you did the close-up shots with the 310 instead?

#8 Christopher Heston

Christopher Heston
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:56 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please excuse me for not responding to you earlier...not quite sure why I haven't - you've posed the best question so far. The clicking noise is most likely your pop-up blocker, or something strange going on with your quicktime player 'cause I don't hear it and I never put it in there.

As for not doing close-ups with the 814xls, I felt that it was far to bulky to move around. I was on a huge time constaint and the 310 offered a decent close-up quality. I left the 814xls on a tripod. The 310xl, though not as good as a camera, is actually much quicker to use and EXTREAMLY reliable. The entire sandwich making scene was shot with it.

As for the 814xls, the camera is amazing. I am currently still getting a feel for it and will most likey soon abandon the 310xl.

-Chris

#9 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:31 AM

Please excuse me for not responding to you earlier...not quite sure why I haven't - you've posed the best question so far.  The clicking noise is most likely your pop-up blocker, or something strange going on with your quicktime player 'cause I don't hear it and I never put it in there.

As for not doing close-ups with the 814xls, I felt that it was far to bulky to move around.  I was on a huge time constaint and the 310 offered a decent close-up quality.  I left the 814xls on a tripod.  The 310xl, though not as good as a camera, is actually much quicker to use and EXTREAMLY reliable.  The entire sandwich making scene was shot with it.

As for the 814xls, the camera is amazing.  I am currently still getting a feel for it and will most likey soon abandon the 310xl.

-Chris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hehehe, now that you mention it, it was a very wise move not having such a revered camera as the 814XLS next to liquid and sticky substances ready to accidentally land onto the beast.

Keeping the 814XLS tripod mounted was also a wise move in terms of giving it a place to hang out when not in use, better than those situations where a handheld camera is laid down over and over in different locations until it is accidentally bumped to the ground.

Was your tripod a sturdy, worthy companion to the 814-XLS?

#10 Mike Crane

Mike Crane
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:00 PM

The price came out at around 150.  They gave me a first time discount and I gave them about 30 minutes of footage.  It's hard to believe that I wasted so much film.  I went a bit super 8 crazy. 

-Chris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only $150.00 for 30 minutes of film on a rank? :blink: From the pricing I have gotten elsewhere that seems to be quite a bargain! And, the picture seems even better than costlier places I have used.

How much extra did they charge you for tape and film prep (on top of 150.00). Do you have a link or phone number for Spectra?

#11 Christopher Heston

Christopher Heston
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2005 - 05:56 PM

Only $150.00 for 30 minutes of film on a rank? :blink: From the pricing I have gotten elsewhere that seems to be quite a bargain!  And, the picture seems even better than costlier places I have used.

How much extra did they charge you for tape and film prep (on top of 150.00).  Do you have a link or phone number for Spectra?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No link or phone number at the moment, but I found them easily on the web and I believe I spoke to a man named Jerry. They are really trying to get new customers, so I'm sure they'd love to hear from anybody. The minidv tape charge was 17 dollars - insane but somehow worth it. The tape they use is a very high quality sony. The company will allow you to supply your own tape, but they only take sony and if it is not their tape they will not hold responsibility for any transfer errors.

The prep charge was about 10 dollars per roll, however I was able to get mine preped for free at Dwayne's Photo.

-Chris

#12 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 27 July 2005 - 06:25 PM

The prep charge was about 10 dollars per roll, however I was able to get mine preped for free at Dwayne's Photo.

-Chris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The DV tape charge probably works like this...

They use the fancy sony issue mini-dv in the fancy album case, which right off the bat costs around 10 bucks no matter where you buy it, then the additional mark-up is a form of "guarantee" that if the tape is defective they will probably redo the transfer at no additional charge to you.

So the risk becomes if you bring your own 5 dollar tape (in theory saving 10 dollars) to the transfer session, and something goes wrong, the retransfer or down time (if the tape were to snap) is on your dime.

#13 Christopher Heston

Christopher Heston
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2005 - 06:31 PM

Hehehe, now that you mention it, it was a very wise move not having such a revered camera as the 814XLS next to liquid and sticky substances ready to accidentally land onto the beast. 

Keeping the 814XLS tripod mounted was also a wise move in terms of giving it a place to hang out when not in use, better than those situations where a handheld camera is laid down over and over in different locations until it is accidentally bumped to the ground.

Was your tripod a sturdy, worthy companion to the 814-XLS?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I felt that an excellent camera should use an excellent tripod - it was a bogen with a fluid head.

#14 Christopher Heston

Christopher Heston
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 03:10 PM

Please, I would like everyone to checkout my super 8 short. Please go to slugfilm.ucsc.edu, click on film galley, students, and search for christopher heston.

enjoy.

#15 Gordon Highland

Gordon Highland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Director
  • Kansas City

Posted 19 October 2005 - 03:55 PM

I don't get it. Your name pops up, and it finds one film. But how do you play it from there? I see no further instructions. I tried two different browsers. Can't log in, obviously, even if that were the case.

#16 Christopher Heston

Christopher Heston
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:43 PM

I don't get it. Your name pops up, and it finds one film. But how do you play it from there? I see no further instructions. I tried two different browsers. Can't log in, obviously, even if that were the case.

http://slugfilm.ucsc...eo.php?film=197

that's the link, sorry for the confusing directions.

#17 andres victorero

andres victorero
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:57 AM

great job. good colors and very sharp images. the light is a little hard for my taste.
congrats

Visual Products

Glidecam

CineTape

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio