#1 Eugene Lehnert

Eugene Lehnert
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Other
  • New York, NY

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:21 AM

I would like to run my possible lighting setup past everyone on the board here.

I will be shooting a scene at night on Super16 with an SBM Bolex. I have a zoom lens Switar and a 10mm Switar. Both are RX lenses.

I want to shoot the scene with a strong backlight and a little fill light. My Switar zoom's widest opening is 1.9 and the wide angle is 1.6. As I understand it, it's best to shoot a stop above the widest opening for a sharper image. But I want to overexpose the film by half a stop, then I want my backlight to be one stop brighter than my target f-stop and my fill to be 1 stop darker.

So I wanted my target f-stop to be between 2.2 and 4.0, but shoot at 2.2. Then I wanted to have my backlight reading between 4.0 and 5.6 and my fill to be at 1.9. I will be shooting on Vision 2 500T film.

Does this sound reasonable? Because I am using RX lenses I can take meter readings as I would with any other camera correct? As if the shutter was set to 180 degrees and no worries about prism compensation? Should I worry about light loss in the lenses, since they stops are f-stops and not T-stops?

I would like to ultimately transfer the film to 35mm, funding permitting. So I want to make sure I get the best picture possible. I wanted to overexpose the film to neutralize any grain but I was thinking of overexposing an entire stop due to fact that the lenses aren't marked with T-stops.

I really want to get a good silhouette from the figures and have the backlight really show their shape with just a little bit of fill to show detail in their faces and bodies.

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio