michael scannell

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin, TX

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:46 PM

I work at the community college in Austin, Texas and have noticed something starnge with our cameras.

Has anyone ever noticed that the viewfinder on sony's stuff doesn't show the entire frame? When I hook up any of ACC's seven pd170s or the DSR 250 to a projector or in Final Cut Pro there is more video on the left and right edges of the frame than what is shown in the camera's viewfinder.

I noticed because students started bringing in footage where cables and booms were visible on the extreme left and right edges of the frame when editing their footage. Then I did a test and there is a little bit less shown on the edge of the frame in these camera's viewfinders than what I see in the computer and on a video projector. That does not seem right. Has anyone ever noticed this when using either of these Sony cameras? Just thought someone may be able to shed some light on this strange discrepancy I am seeing.

This is an issue for us because most of these projects are for projected exhibition in a theatre not broadcast where the underscan and extreme edges are not visible.

#2 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:06 PM

I work at the community college in Austin, Texas and have noticed something starnge with our cameras.

Has anyone ever noticed that the viewfinder on sony's stuff doesn't show the entire frame?  When I hook up any of ACC's seven pd170s or the DSR 250 to a projector or in Final Cut Pro there is more video on the left and right edges of the frame than what is shown in the camera's viewfinder.

I noticed because students started bringing in footage where cables and booms were visible on the extreme left and right edges of the frame when editing their footage.  Then I did a test and there is a little bit less shown on the edge of the frame in these camera's viewfinders than what I see in the computer and on a video projector.  That does not seem right.  Has anyone ever noticed this when using either of these Sony cameras?  Just thought someone may be able to shed some light on this strange discrepancy I am seeing.

This is an issue for us because most of these projects are for projected exhibition in a theatre not broadcast where the underscan and extreme edges are not visible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, Don't feel too bad. Have a screening of "Red Rock West" by John Dahl and see who can spot all 12 times the boom mic is in the frame.

As for your cameras, I'd guess they have kinda cheapo viewfinders that don't do underscan and the monitors you watch the footage on do, so you see more of the frame. The solution is to take along a monitor with underscan on your shoots which is a good habit to get into anyway.

#3 drew_town

drew_town
  • Sustaining Members
  • 383 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Southeast US

Posted 26 July 2005 - 01:57 PM

You have to allow for "title safe" and "action safe" areas when shooting. Most cameras and monitors without an underscan function will not display the entire frame. You should pan and tilt slightly to see what's just off camera to make sure things like that don't creep in. Have your boom operator drop the boom into the frame and give them a line they shouldn't cross. If you're shooting something destined for the web or for projection, a monitor with underscan should be on the "must have" list.

#4 Peter J DeCrescenzo

Peter J DeCrescenzo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 620 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR, USA www.peterdv.com Blog: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:21 PM

... Has anyone ever noticed that the viewfinder on sony's stuff doesn't show the entire frame?  When I hook up any of ACC's seven pd170s or the DSR 250 to a projector or in Final Cut Pro there is more video on the left and right edges of the frame than what is shown in the camera's viewfinder ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To the best of my knowledge, the B&W _CRT_ viewfinder on a Sony DSR-250 camcorder should normally display underscanned video (the entire frame from edge to edge). At least, that's how the B&W VF on my DSR-250 works. I frequently use my B&W VF to very precisely align framing and it displays exactly the same underscan framing as the production monitors I use.

The B&W CRT VF on a DSR-250 is a Sony model DXF-801 and is the same model included with many of Sony's pro camcorders. If your DXF-801 VF isn't underscanning, then it probably requires adjustment by a qualified repair technician.

As for the _LCD_ B&W and color viewfinders & monitors built-into the DSR-250, PD-150 and other popular camcorders: Yes, most of these LCDs are not underscanned; they usually crop some of the image. I don't believe this is unique to Sony.

There are some relatively high-end/expensive LCD monitors & VFs which offer underscanning, but most inexpensive ones don't. Of course, I'm sure there may be exceptions.

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

Edited by Peter DeCrescenzo, 26 July 2005 - 03:23 PM.

#5 Alvin Pingol

Alvin Pingol
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Student
  • California

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:06 PM

Hi, and try not to crosspost. Had I known your question was already answered I wouldn't have wasted my time writing this reply to your other dupe inquiry.

Thanks

#6 michael scannell

michael scannell

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin, TX

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:34 PM

Hi, and try not to crosspost. Had I known your question was already answered I wouldn't have wasted my time writing this reply to your other dupe inquiry.

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Posted in the wrong catagory initially. First time. Sorry I WASTED your time.

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio