Dominik Muench
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brisbane

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:39 AM

Hi,

i have been asked to write about John Seals cinematography in the english patient and i was wondering if anyone knows any good resources ?
thanks

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 July 2005 - 11:25 AM

The Jan. 1997 "American Cinematographer" issue covered this movie.

You could also read all the other John Seale movies covered over time in A.C. and ICG Mag; long or short articles (in the Academy nominees round-up section) have appeared in one or the other mag about "Witness", "Rain Man", "Talented Mr. Ripley", "American President", "Harry Potter", "Dead Poets Society", "Gorillas in the Mist", "Mosquito Coast", "Cold Mountain", "The Firm", "The Perfect Storm", etc. -- in fact, he has an unusually high record for the number of his features to get articles written about them. Just looking at his IMDB credits, ever since "Witness", it seems like 80% of his work has been written about in some mag or another just from my own recollection of reading them.

Philosophically, a lot of his decisions center around being faster and keeping things simple in order to give the director more time with the actors. Hence his preference to shoot on fast stocks and zoom lenses as often as possible.

Just spell his name right if you're going to write a paper on him!

#3 Dominik Muench

Dominik Muench
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brisbane

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:07 PM

The Jan. 1997 "American Cinematographer" issue covered this movie.

You could also read all the other John Seale movies covered over time in A.C. and ICG Mag; long or short articles (in the Academy nominees round-up section) have appeared in one or the other mag about "Witness", "Rain Man", "Talented Mr. Ripley", "American President", "Harry Potter", "Dead Poets Society", "Gorillas in the Mist", "Mosquito Coast", "Cold Mountain", "The Firm", "The Perfect Storm", etc. -- in fact, he has an unusually high record for the number of his features to get articles written about them. Just looking at his IMDB credits, ever since "Witness", it seems like 80% of his work has been written about in some mag or another just from my own recollection of reading them.

Philosophically, a lot of his decisions center around being faster and keeping things simple in order to give the director more time with the actors. Hence his preference to shoot on fast stocks and zoom lenses as often as possible.

Just spell his name right if you're going to write a paper on him!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha thank you i will remember that :)

#4 Dominik Muench

Dominik Muench
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brisbane

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:32 PM

haha thank you i will remember that :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

do you have any information on the filmstock ? english patient was dominated by reds and browns so i assume he choose kodak ?

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 July 2005 - 11:07 PM

do you have any information on the filmstock ? english patient was dominated by reds and browns so i assume he choose kodak ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you'd get a better understanding of what he did if you read the whole AC article.

Yes, he used Kodak, but what does that really tell you? And the scenes in Italy were on the cold side, not warm, to contrast with the desert flashbacks.

Kodak and Fuji can both be cold or warm.

#6 Dominik Muench

Dominik Muench
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brisbane

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:25 AM

thanks, i try to get my hands on the ac article....somehow.

#7 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:30 AM

Do you live near any university with a film program? Usually they keep back issues of "American Cinematographer." You can also call the ASC and pay a xeroxing fee for an article; the AMPAS Margaret Herrick Library does this too, so I'm sure there is some academic library in Australia that can do that for you. Go to any academic library and talk to a reference librarian.

I mean, how were you planning on writing a paper on John Seale without reading as many magazine articles published on his work as you could?

#8 Hamid Khozouie

Hamid Khozouie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • TEHRAN , IRAN

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:33 PM

Also you can read CINEMATOGRAPHY SCREENCRAFT in John Seal chapter.

He used coral & pl filters in desert.

#9 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:36 PM

Yes, that's a good idea too.

If you can't find the AC article, maybe I can scan it on my flatbed and email it to you.

#10 Dominik Muench

Dominik Muench
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brisbane

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:21 PM

hi david,

yes i live near a uni, but the university there does not have much material on cinematography, especially when it comes to back issues of the AC :(
it would be fantastic if you could scan me the articel, if you get time to do it that means :)

#11 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:55 PM

I need you to send me your email address because I can't send attachments in this forum's email program.

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post