#1 jon portland

jon portland

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:25 PM

someone referred me to this site, so i don't shoot film at all. my experience has been in video. so i was wondering if someone could give me some pointers.

about to start a project that will be shot on BetaCam SX.

i haven't had a chance to talk to the company that will be doing the film transfer yet. i thought i'd get some input on what is the best way to submit my material to them.

i was thinking maybe sequencial .tga or .tiff files on disc. about 900 frames for a :30 spot.

also would it be a good idea to crop my video to 2.35:1 ratio [anamorphic] or should i give it to them uncropped.

the commercial will be shown in local theatres. i've never done this before so i'm kind of nervous about how it will turn out.

One more thing, what's the rule on black/white level. usually broadcast is 7.5/100 ire. would it be better to go 0 ire black?

any guidelines and tips would be most appreciated. thanks in advance.

#2 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 27 July 2005 - 09:09 PM

i haven't had a chance to talk to the company that will be doing the film transfer yet.

Only one tip:

Talk to them. Before you do anything else.

They will have specific guidelines about what ratio you should submit in, what file format (if you are going to a digital post route), what pixel dimensions etc.
You will also need to ask some specific questions about the soundtrack - if it's for cinema you will probably be looking for a Dolby stereo track, which involves licence fees etc.

Other places might work slghtly differently, so any general advice yyou get here may not apply to your specific facility.

Are you shooting for 2.35:1? Most cinema ads here in Australia (don't know where you are) are in 1.85:1, and the cinemas hate having to switch masking for a 30 second spot. Besides you would be asking a lot of a video image to blow it up that big.

#3 jon portland

jon portland

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 July 2005 - 02:35 AM

thanks for your advice Dominic. i just wanted some information so i could gauge whether or not the people who where going to do the transfer knew what they were doing.

i wasn't the one who picked them and i haven't seen any samples of the transfers they have done? so i can't attest to the quality of their work, the only reason they were selected was because they were inexpensive.

the 2.35 was recommended by the company. my client was the one who selected them, i'm to turn over the final tape to them and they're making the arrangements for the transfer. they won't tell me who the company is for some odd reason.

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies