2 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:32 AM

Which will give better results: shooting DVCPRO 50 and downconverting the material to DV25, or simply shooting in DV 25 (DVCPRO) mode?

The project I'm shooting will be cut in Final Cut Pro, and I'm wondering which will give the best quality in edit. There will a bit of greenscreen in this project, so I'd definitely prefer to shoot PRO50 to minimize compression artifacts. The project will stay on video; likely on DVD for release.

And what would be the best way to downconvert DVCPRO50 footage to a DV25 format, or otherwise get it into FCP?

I've got to get this sorted out by Saturday, so I know whether to record in 25 or 50 mode.

Thanks

#2 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 27 July 2005 - 06:42 AM

Which will give better results: shooting DVCPRO 50 and downconverting the material to DV25, or simply shooting in DV 25 (DVCPRO) mode?

The project I'm shooting will be cut in Final Cut Pro, and I'm wondering which will give the best quality in edit. There will a bit of greenscreen in this project, so I'd definitely prefer to shoot PRO50 to minimize compression artifacts. The project will stay on video; likely on DVD for release.

And what would be the best way to downconvert DVCPRO50 footage to a DV25 format, or otherwise get it into FCP?

I've got to get this sorted out by Saturday, so I know whether to record in 25 or 50 mode.

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's the sort of question where I'd want to hear from someone in a position to KNOW. You should call Jan Crittenden at Panasonic and get the real deal. One thing I'll say is that if you shoot in 25, your tapes last twice as long.

Why don't you want to (or why can't you) stay in 50? Just curious.

#3 Gordon Highland

Gordon Highland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Director
  • Kansas City

Posted 27 July 2005 - 08:42 AM

You don't need to downconvert to DV25 to use FCP. Just rent a DVCPRO50 deck for however long it takes you to capture; all you have to do is connect it with a firewire cable. Hard drive storage is not usually a big issue at this size, either. And being able to pull a good key is much easier in 50 for sure.

Abel Cine

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

The Slider

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Tai Audio