digital cinema standard agreed on?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kai.w

Kai.w
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2005 - 08:26 AM

German news bring up the headline that apparently the hollywood studios finally agreed on a standard for the digital cinema (quoting the wall street journal)... could not find the mentioned english article. Anybody has anymore details?

-k

#2 Rod Otaviano

Rod Otaviano
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 July 2005 - 09:23 AM

German news bring up the headline that apparently the hollywood studios finally agreed on a standard for the digital cinema (quoting the wall street journal)... could not find the mentioned english article. Anybody has anymore details?
-k

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I saw the same news here:

http://news.com.com/...ml?tag=nefd.top

#3 shoot2still

shoot2still
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:53 PM

Yeah, I saw the same news here:

http://news.com.com/...ml?tag=nefd.top

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I just read about it on IMDB. The studios are going to borrow money to pay for the technology and use the money saved on prints to repay the debt. This really concerns me when it comes to the quality of the projected image. How will the theatres, whose loyalty isn't to the image but the dollar, make sure that the projectors are up to par? Do you really think they will shut down a screen to fix these problems?
Can anyone predict what this will do to the printing process? Will this make DI easier? Cost less? Don't know? Kinda worried?

Cameron

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19762 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:22 PM

D.I. and digital projection are sort of opposites, although both require digital mastering of the original.

Digital projection basically uses an HD master as a source, whereas D.I.'s use 2K & higher, plus as the word "intermediate" implies, the final step of a D.I. is a film print.

If they are talking about implementing 2K DLP or upcoming 4K systems (which wouldn't use HD masters), I'm not so worried about quality (it's pretty darn similar to 35mm projection, if not cleaner, steadier, etc.) -- I'd be more worried about those theaters that would opt for the common 1.2K DLP or lower.

Also, considering what a huge part of Kodak's MP profits derive from print stock, it could accelerate their losses if print orders declined rapidly -- but actually I don't see that happening for a long time; there are simply too many theaters worldwide, much more than could possibly convert to digital projection in the next several years.

#5 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 27 July 2005 - 09:00 PM

apparently the hollywood studios finally agreed on a standard for the digital cinema

If you are talking about the standards agreed by DCI (Digital Cinema Intiative) which represents the major studios, then they have just published their final document.

Quoting from the email that DCI sent out to subscribers: -

"Digital Cinema System Specification V1.0 has been posted on the homepage -
membership is not required for download please go to:
http://www.dcimovies.com to read the press release and
download the final specification."

The studios are going to borrow money to pay for the technology and use the money saved on prints to repay the debt.

If you are talking about the financial model, then there are a couple of schemes around. One is the new partnership of Christie & AccessIT. http://www.christied...essITcp2000.asp
Incidentally, Access have just bought out Boeing Digital Cinema, a similar project that stalled a couple of years ago. They installed many of the 1.2K DLP projectors that are now below the resolution demanded by the DCI standards.

#6 Kai.w

Kai.w
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2005 - 01:13 PM

Hmm.... 4k with 12Bit per Component at only 250Mbit/s. That sounds rather heavy even for jpeg2000... no?

-k

#7 Ted

Ted

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 01 August 2005 - 02:02 AM

What i can read in the specification:

2k -> 2048 x 1080 Pixel @ 24/48p
4k -> 4096 x 2160 Pixel @ 24p

Why is there no 48p for 4k? Is there no need for 48fps in digital cinema projection? We have it on classic film projection (48fps)?!

thanks,
ted

#8 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19762 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:41 PM

What i can read in the specification:

2k -> 2048  x 1080  Pixel @ 24/48p
4k -> 4096  x 2160  Pixel @ 24p

Why is there no 48p for 4k? Is there no need for 48fps in digital cinema projection? We have it on classic film projection (48fps)?!

thanks,
ted

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Film projection is not 48 fps (except for special processes & venues.) It's 24 fps with each frame flashed twice by the twin-bladed shutter, which is not 48 fps even though it is 48 flashes per second. It would be like 24P progressive display with a 48 Hz refresh rate I suppose (not counting the fact that film projection is dark 50% of the time.)

I'm not sure if the 2K 48P spec is for running 24 fps material at double speed, twice the refresh rate, or for showing 48 fps material.

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

CineLab

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc