Jonathan Spear
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:19 PM

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...ADME:B:AAQ:US:1

What I need is a decent lighting kit which will offer flexibility, ease of use and pleasing results.

1. Would a kit like this be ideal for properly lighting (i.e. = a decent key light, fill, background, soft lights, etc) a short 16mm film -- for day and night shots as well?

2. Compared to Arri tungsten kits for example, will there be a noticeable difference in quality?

Any info will be tremendously appreciated as always.

Cheers,
Jonathan

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:34 PM

It's a good starter kit, some bright open-face tungstens essentially. An Arri kit would probably just be better-built, stronger, but this might work fine.

You'd still want some smaller lights (Chinese Lanterns, flos, 100watt movie lights), and someday, some bigger ones (a 2K, maybe some small HMI's.)

The problem you always run into with a tungsten kit is in day scenes where it is impractical to gel the windows. Once you put Full Blue on a tungsten light, you lose 2-stops of output. Hence why some daylight-tubed flos are useful, plus some small HMI's. So someday, save up for a 575w or 1200w HMI PAR, or rent one to go with your package for day interior scenes.

But you can do quite a bit on a small shoot with a kit like that, assuming it's in good working order.

#3 drew_town

drew_town
  • Sustaining Members
  • 383 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Southeast US

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:46 PM

I think the creator of this kit put some thought into what lights to use and what to include in the kit. I mainly agree with David in that the difference will likely be the craftmanship of the gear. A similar lighting kit from Arri would run somewhere between 2-2.5x this kit. But I have to have some workhorse lights. I think what's missing is a broad throw light like a Lowel Tota and the higher power lights.

I've built a moderate kit up from individual lights on eBay. I have an Arri 650 fresnel, Altman 1K softlight, Lowel Pro light, 8 Lowel KA stands, gels, and a 4'x4' diffusion screen and frame all for about $700. I'm still building my kit, of course, but I am glad I didn't settle for some of the cheaper lights.

#4 Tim Tyler

Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 27 July 2005 - 03:30 PM

Those look like Britek lights http://www.briteklight.com/hali.html

I actually bought a few of those last year to shoot some video interviews and they're not too bad, but they're nothing special. The tilt-knobs never get as tight as I'd like, and the barn doors get loose but can be tightened with a wrench. The softbox is not as soft as a nice Chimera but it works.

I think they're a good value if you can't afford better lights.

I recommend a few fresnels for your kit too. Theater fresnels are less expensive than film fresnels, but they're often bigger and heavier too.

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

CineTape

Opal

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets