Ckulakov
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Student
  • Washington D.C.

Posted 28 July 2005 - 05:45 PM

... RICHER THAN RICH!

I have never seen anything better, it looked rich, magical, almost glossy with amazing quality. It obviosly was shot on film unless they had a real wizard color correcting and shooting it.

What do you think they did while shooting, lighting, and color-correcting just out of curiosity ( I obviosly wont get something like than with my knowledge and camera)

The exact name is "MY BOO" by Usher.

Please give me any info if you saw it and if you havnt you really need to watch it thats what I define as beautifull cinematography.

Thanks

P.S. Sorry for posting it this forum since it doesnt match, but I just had to have everyone here about this!

Edited by Ckulakov, 28 July 2005 - 05:52 PM.

#2 Wendell_Greene

Wendell_Greene
  • Sustaining Members
  • 545 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 July 2005 - 10:04 PM

Directed by Chris Robinson and Usher. Shot in NYC, in Times Square. Don't recall who the DP was on the video but it may have been Karsten"Crash" Gopinath . BET has a "making of the video styled show called "Access Granted" which profiled the shoot.

Shot Super 35, great color correction in telecine and then time spent in post which you can read about here.

#3 Ckulakov

Ckulakov
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Student
  • Washington D.C.

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:00 PM

I new they had some kind of color correction.

Any more info like lighting or anything like that.

Thanks

#4 Wendell_Greene

Wendell_Greene
  • Sustaining Members
  • 545 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:32 PM

Probably the usual suspects for lighting like HMIs. They used lots of Kinos, 2, 4 banks and Image 80s. You can even see a couple of the Kino flo units attached to the walls of the subway lighting Usher as exits and micro flos hidden behind the art work in his hotel room. They used a technocrane in Times Square scenes and did a wet down of the streets to pick up the reflections from the neon lights.

R&B /hip hop videos always undergo a great deal of color correction and finalizing of the overall look in the telecine suite and then additional clean up in Flame or Inferno.

Alicia Keys looked amazing, as always.

#5 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 29 July 2005 - 08:25 AM

Maybe I'm jaded or a bit fed up with the whole RnB music video scene, but I can't say I saw one frame or one lighting setup in this video that was new or fresh. Same old bag of tricks that's been done a million times before. Big soft front for the girls, harder top/front for the boys, a bit of burning rim-lighting, the ubiquitous 150fps shot to create "mood" (preferrably with a couple arguing and she "dissing" him and throwing something at him like a vase or a wedding ring...), the symmetrical compositions, the degrain in post for her and finally "popping" the colors in telecine in true RnB-style. It was all there.

I'm not saying it looks bad in any way, just not very fresh.

Jay-Z's 99 Problems was propably the last, good, fresh RnB/HipHop video I saw - just brilliant.
But the Mark Romaneks and the Chris Cunninghams are far and few between.

#6 Jonathan Spear

Jonathan Spear
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 July 2005 - 08:42 AM

I loved Cunningham's Bjork video. The man's a genius.

#7 Wendell_Greene

Wendell_Greene
  • Sustaining Members
  • 545 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:01 AM

Jay-Z's 99 Problems was propably the last, good, fresh RnB/HipHop video I saw - just brilliant. But the Mark Romaneks and the Chris Cunninghams are far and few between.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Recently there have been several RnB/hip hop videos that have pushed things creatively: Chris Milk's video for Kanye West's "Jesus Walks", Dave Meyers work with Missy Elliot feat Ciara and Fatman Scoop on the video for " Lose Control/On and On ", Hype Williams' latest "Diamonds from Sierra Leone" for Kanye.

Personally I believe most RnB/Hip Hop videos are way overlit .Claudio Miranda's lighting on the Jake Nava directed video for Beyonce's "Baby Boy" was the first video I 've seen in a long time where the star wasn't always lit with a large, soft frontal source, and yet the lower key, dramatic. stylized lighting worked far better IMHO than the norm and of course, she still looked beautiful. Hopefully we'll see more videos move in that direction.

Can't wait for the DVD of Mark Romanek's videos along with DVDs for Anton Corbijin, Stephane Sednaoui and Johnathan Glazer as part of the new Palm Pictures Director's Label series, which started with the DVD set for Chris Cunningham, Spike Jonze and Michel Gondry.

#8 Ckulakov

Ckulakov
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Student
  • Washington D.C.

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:11 AM

Here is a link where you can watch it WMP format and be able to skip and go back.

http://www.findvideo...o&submit=Search

#9 Ckulakov

Ckulakov
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Student
  • Washington D.C.

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:13 AM

under Song click "MY BOO".

P.S. They really had some serious color-correction

#10 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:13 PM

Personally I believe most RnB/Hip Hop videos are way overlit .Claudio Miranda's lighting on the Jake Nava directed video for Beyonce's "Baby Boy" was the first video I 've seen in a long time where the star wasn't always lit with a large, soft frontal source, and yet the lower key, dramatic. stylized lighting worked far better IMHO than the norm and of course, she still looked beautiful.  Hopefully we'll see more videos move in that direction.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, Wendell. That video was nicely and moodily lit. It does however take some guts from the label/artist - one thing I've learned is than never understimate the clients fear. They basically want something that's a little new, but that doesn't rock the boat. For them, just a new concept or idea, but retain the same look, often constitutes just about as much risk as they're willing to take.

It would be interesting to hear what Mr. Miranda's experiences were on that.

#11 Brett B

Brett B
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 July 2005 - 08:01 AM

I personally felt the My Boo video was extremely boring and uninspiring. There was nothing to the video and I personally did not feel the cinematography was that good. The images felt flat and over manipulated and there was nothing interesting about the way in which it was lensed. I think, in terms of cinematography, Kanye West's ?Diamonds are Forever? is one of the best new videos.

#12 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 30 July 2005 - 02:41 PM

I personally felt the My Boo video was extremely boring and uninspiring.  There was nothing to the video and I personally did not feel the cinematography was that good.  The images felt flat and over manipulated and there was nothing interesting about the way in which it was lensed.  I think, in terms of cinematography, Kanye West's ?Diamonds are Forever? is one of the best new videos.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi

i agrey with brett

just watch the new coldplay video "speed of sound"

WOW!!!!!

raM

#13 Alvin Pingol

Alvin Pingol
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Student
  • California

Posted 30 July 2005 - 05:13 PM

>>just watch the new coldplay video "speed of sound"

As much as I love Coldplay, and as much as I love Harry Savides, I can't say I found the Speed of Sound video cinematographically amazing. I mean, honestly, once you take away that horrendously expensive looking programmable LED fixture behind the band, it's nothing special.

BTW... I'm seeing Coldplay at the Shoreline Amphitheatre on the 19th. EXCITED!

CineLab

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Opal

Technodolly

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC